Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WS12A Switch not working with my CM15A  (Read 6969 times)

marceloc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS12A Switch not working with my CM15A
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »

Hello,

I am very new to X10, and I have recently purchased WS12A switches to dim my bedroom lighting. It is working fine from the module (both dimming and on/off), but not using CM15A through the ActiveHome Pro software. The software is version 3.318. I have checked the house and module code and make sure it is matched. They are also placed in the same room so they should be sharing the same circuit. I replace the switch with another one, but same happen. I have used the Lamp module LM465SD and it is controlled successfully with CM15A and the software, so I think it should be related to my WS12A module.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you.
Marcelo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS12A Switch not working with my CM15A
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »

Are the WS12A switches new and have soft start? Where they ramp On and Off at about a three second time?
If they are soft start. Make sure you used the Lamp Module Tab and not the older before soft start module tab, to define them.

If they are not soft start. Make sure you defined them from the old before soft start module tab.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »

They are also placed in the same room so they should be sharing the same circuit. I replace the switch with another one, but same happen. I have used the Lamp module LM465SD and it is controlled successfully with CM15A and the software, so I think it should be related to my WS12A module.
Are you sure the WS12A is on the same circuit as the CM15A? Same room doesn't mean a thing, especially if the WS12A is controlling a fixture. We lived in several Florida homes where all room fixtures were on their own seperate breaker(s) from the outlets.

This sounds like it could be a phase coupling problem.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

marceloc

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »

Thank you all for your reply. All the lighting and socket is coming from the same breaker. By switching off the breaker, both my light and the outlet do not have any power. So, I know they are connect.

Brian: I am not quite understand your solution. I ordered the switches 2 months ago, so I assume it is new, right? So, do you mean I define the module wrong in the software? There is only WS12A in the configuration. Is there anything wrong here?

Thank you again.

Marcelo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »

Two months old. I would say they are the new softstart.
The problem was a few years ago. X10 reengineered many of their modules. Adding Soft Start was one change.
Older ones had to be controlled by a differnet X10 command and X10 conveniently did NOT change the part number.
If you look at the Modules drop down tab. You will see a tab for Lamp Modules and Older Lamps (no Soft Start) Modules.
If you had the older ones. Using the definition in the Lamps tab would result in them not working correctly.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »

Two months old. I would say they are the new softstart.
The problem was a few years ago. X10 reengineered many of their modules. Adding Soft Start was one change.
Older ones had to be controlled by a differnet X10 command and X10 conveniently did NOT change the part number.
If you look at the Modules drop down tab. You will see a tab for Lamp Modules and Older Lamps (no Soft Start) Modules.
If you had the older ones. Using the definition in the Lamps tab would result in them not working correctly.

Actually, defining SoftStart modules as non-SoftStart modules wouldn't create all that many problems. The dim levels don't line up between the older and newer modules, but (from my testing, at least) the newer ones will respond to the older commands. Of course, I've only tested with plug-in lamp modules, not with wall switches - but it shouldn't make a difference). The problem comes when you try to control a non-SoftStart module with the newer Extended Dim commands for the SoftStart modules. The older modules don't understand those commands.

marceloc

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »

Hi all,

I tried to select all the lamp modules (both new and old) from AHP. None of them work. I have double checked the addresses and they are all matched. The switch simply cannot respond to any command (not even on/off). So, I am not sure what to do at this moment.

Thank you all!
Marcelo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:04:13 AM »

Regular incandescent bulbs on the WS12As?

The WS12As turn On and Off from the local paddle?

Is the CM15A interface and your computer on the same outlet?
You may have a marginal X10 power line signal that the LM465 can process but not the WS12As.

The new WS12As have a resume dim feature.
You may want to make sure it was not set to near Off.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim#Clearing_Preset_Dim

marceloc

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »

Hi Brian,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Regular incandescent bulbs on the WS12As?
Yes.

The WS12As turn On and Off from the local paddle?
Yes, it can be turn on/off manually

Is the CM15A interface and your computer on the same outlet?
Yes, they are the same outlet.

Don't know what's the next steps are....puzzling!

Cheers,
Marc

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »

Move the CM15A to another outlet, one that is close to the computer, but not in the same outlet.  PC's are notorious for putting noise on the powerline. Either move the CM15A or get a filter for the PC.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »

If the computer is a laptop, you might try disconnecting the power cord from the wall for a few minutes to test.
If it is a desktop (and therefore must be plugged in), you might try using a long extension cord to plug it into a different circuit, and see if that reduces the noise enough for it to work.

marceloc

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »

I have the laptop without plugging into the power outlet, so there is only a USB connection to my CM15A. So, the interference should not be in the picture. Still researching what may be the problem. Hmmm.....

Marcelo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »

Many devices can cause power line problems.
You may have to do some troubleshooting to find problems.
Some TVs; Cell Phone Chargers and other electronic goodies can cause problems.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:36:29 AM by Brian H »

marceloc

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »

but my lamp module (LM465SD) has no problem to be controlled at all using the same AHP. So, it is device related?

Thank you.
Marcelo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »

Could be the LM465s have a slightly better power line receiver in them.
You may want to try unplugging any other electronic devices on the same breaker and see if things change.

Do you have any other X10 controllers or a remote you can use for some tests?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.