Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Entire Computer Built Into USB Thumb Drive  (Read 2360 times)

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Entire Computer Built Into USB Thumb Drive
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Entire Computer Built Into USB Thumb Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »

Yeah - that's in keeping with the X-10 design philosophy. It's useless without a mouse and/or keyboard and/or touchscreen but costs as much as a tablet that does have input methods and a screen.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »

Sometime ago... it was determined that as flashdrives grew in size.... if a PC could be made to boot to a these new flashdrives users could carry their PC's in a pocket. Well at least users would carry the look and software with them. The hardware... screen, processor, keyboard and such would remain stationary. Of course in my experience [as a former network admin] all flashdrive are eventually lost... or broken.

It's a great idea to be able to travel with just your flashdrive in your pocket. To hell with the IT guys at the visiting offices that would need to stock enough hard-driveless laptops to cover all meetings. And what about Internet security? Will these pocket PCs have up-to-date security software? would each one be scanned and checked before allowing it on a network?

I think tablets are changing the entire landscape.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:36:40 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:39:42 AM »

... if a PC could be made to boot to a these new flashdrives users could carry their PC's in a pocket. Well at least users would carry the look and software with them. The hardware... screen, processor, keyboard and such would remain stationary.
Bootable flash drives with almost any of the 57,000 flavors of Linux are widely used (I frequently try out a new Linux version this way and the same can likely be done with Android which is, afterall, just another, open sores flavor of Linux.) but a $10 flash drive and a $200 boondoggle tabletless tablet are totally different stories.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »

...... $200 boondoggle tabletless tablet are totally different stories.

I only meant.... that for most laptop (as well as PC) users... a tablet would likely be just as useful. Tablets themselves aren't such a trouble to transport or carry around. And much harder to lose than a flashdrive. The old desktop computers are quickly becoming very obsolete... and laptops may not be far behind them.

Although I have always been a Microsoft user... and was never impressed with open source.... it is the software of the NOW. Certainly the old MS and Apple OS's have likely seen their hay days.

But as I understand it... it is chip/processor design that really controls what OS's will be allowed. Processor makers ultimately have OS control by virtue of the chips design. If there is money to be made there.... I wouldn't expect chipmakers to be fools. The only thing that will remain unchanged... is change.

Computers will only continue to get smaller. But, until a new way to interface with the human operator is found the touchscreen will likely be the size limiter.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.