Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Refuses to Correct Refund Problem - I Need Suggestions  (Read 3310 times)

Confused Customer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Refuses to Correct Refund Problem - I Need Suggestions
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »

I returned some products I purchased from X10 to the tune of around $399 because the products were not adequate for my needs.

I did this in the middle of the summer.

I have been in contact with multiple sales reps and customer support reps.

They have all agreed that my returned items were received and in good standing. 

They assured me that my refund had been processed.

I have reviewed all of my banking records and contacted my credit card processing company and they have no record of the return.

I advised X10 of this and provided my exact transaction details.  They haven't done anything productive with this information.

I have my lawyer waiting in the wings to use the legal route, but before I go down that path, I'm looking for any other suggestions on who in the company I can/should talk to sort out this 4 month problem like civilized people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is almost certainly a clerical error at this point, but after 4 months of waiting for an answer I'm running out of patience for them to get their act together.

$399 is a lot to just walk away from.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Jamie.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 Refuses to Correct Refund Problem - I Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »

Assuming the equipment was not defective, was your return within the 30 day period for returning equipment under the "satisfaction guarantee" policy from X10? If not, you are at their mercy. Even if an X10 rep said "yup, your refund is in the pipe" I suspect sometimes customer service telephone reps just say whatever necessary to get you off the phone and move on to the next caller. And that isn't just an X10 rep.

Before spending money on an attorney, I would go back X10 one more time and explain you are writing the Washington State Attorney General about their empty commitments. Speak to a supervisor and get names. Then after a couple of days with no action I would go to the credit card company. If you have any documentation from X10 indicating they received your return goods in good order, when they received it, etc. I would forward that information to the CC company also and see if they will do something. If all your communications was over phone, do you have records of who you talked to, with dates and times, if so forward that to the CC company. The CC company can do a charge back to X10, but considering the time passage you will probably need some verification for the CC Company that the problem is at X10's end.

If that doesn't work then maybe a letter for your attorney will get X10 to do something, but I think X10 HQ is probably chaotic.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:13:30 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »

I agree with Dave, except I would go direct to your credit card company and file a dispute. Do it now, as some cards have time limits, mine are 6 months and a year (depending on the card), but some are shorter.

You have already been too patient.

Confused Customer

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »

Oh yeah, it has definitely been returned within the 30 day window, and X10 has already acknowledged that I am entitled to the refund.

I have those statements in writing.

I also have their assurance that they have in fact, refunded the money, but it has never materialized.

Your suggestions are good ones relating to the CC company and I will give them to go ahead to move forward with their investigations.

The CC company is aware of the problem, and their first line of resolution is "Give the Company more time to sort things out", but I agree that I've waiting long enough.  I don't blame the CC company for wanting a less contentious resolution as everyone saves money and frustration with that approach.

So next stop, VISA ville, and then litigation. :(

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »

If you have statements in writing that you are owed a refund, you won't need litigation. Visa will take care of it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »

So next stop, VISA ville, and then litigation. :(
What a pain in the butt.  :(

As you probably know, X10 is having tough times.  Rumor is they are not manufacturing any more, but no one frequenting this forum has been able to confirm. I am not taking X10's side, because you are certainly not the first to have had uncalled for problems getting refunds from X10. However IF X10 is in receivership and are in the process of dramatically changing their marketing model, I suspect they have: not enough people, doing all the work, with a corresponding lack of follow through.

Unfortunately I suspect there will be more problems like this until X10 gets things back under control. Maybe intercoms, IP cams, tablets, and clappers will do that.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Confused Customer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »

Thanks again for the information guys.

I will let you know how things shape up.

Confused Customer

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

So Paypal and Visa have confirmed that the X10 folks owe the money and Paypal has demanded that x10 perform a refund.

I guess I'll have to wait another 3 months for them to respond.

x10 really is one of the worst and deceptive companies I've ever dealt with.

lainghk

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:17 AM »

Open a case with BBB.  I had similar issue and was resolved with the help from BBB.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.