Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New IP Camera  (Read 43327 times)

Gismo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
New IP Camera
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

Have a few questions:
Has anyone tried the new wireless IP camera ?
I was thinking about getting one and using it while on vacations to log in to see the house.
I assume it transmits 24/7 ?
Will it use alot of bandwidth?

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: New IP Camera
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »

Hey Gismo,

Haven't tried it, but check out this thread.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25604.msg143794#msg143794

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

Has anyone tried the new wireless IP camera ?

I don't think we have any reports on it yet... but IP cams have been around for sometime. They work great.

I was thinking about getting one and using it while on vacations to log in to see the house.

I've used an IP cam for just such a thing... only wished mine had IR and could pan and tilt.

I assume it transmits 24/7 ? Will it use alot of bandwidth?

No... it never just transmits. It will on request present an HTML (Web Page) and fill it with video images. You will access the camera via the internet with a password. Only then (or on motion detection settings trigger) will the camera load any images anywhere. And.... It doesn't use that much bandwidth even when putting up the video.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:57:52 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Gismo

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »

Thanks all.
I'm new with this x10 stuff, well not really i've had the Radio Shack mini controller and modules for almost 25 years, and yes it still works every day.  Now i've just got back into x10 stuff, got AHP with all the software modules, and found a CM15A.  I just got an XX20A low lite camera with a A/V receiver and adapter at a great price...too bad this IP camera came out a few days after i got the XX20A ......but this IP camera looks good so I may get that too (or a different IP cam). Too bad this new IP camera is not an x10 device, that would have been great.
This week i'm going to play with the new stuff i just got, then I may get an IP cam to be independent from the x10 system, and link it to a webpage that i'll make.

Thanks.....you guys are a great resource of information, i'm hooked on reading this BB

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »

I don't have the X10 IP Camera.  I have the genuine Foscam FI8918W and clone of the Foscam fi8908w.  The X10 IP Cam seems to be a clone.     I would suggest you go over here to read up http://www.gadgetvictims.com/search/label/Foscam     The foscam series is well supported by 3rd party applications. IP Camera can push the pictures out via ftp/smtp every 1 sec, or pull via client software (web browser, or Android/Iphone App , third party windows or linux security applications).  

I use one as baby monitor where the night vision comes in handy.  I have the other in the living room and ftps images every sec and lets me peek inside the house when I am away.  One thing to watch out for when using multiple IP cameras is to make sure the manufacturer have a unique MAC ID address for each unit. They get lazy and save cost this way.  In fact the low end Chinese Android Tablets have this problem too.   In recent times, I never did understand why people bought the original X10 cameras.... seems to be pain to setup with VCR like receivers to record especially if you could buy one for $60 if you look hard enough
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:54:52 AM by pseeker »

Gismo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »

Thanks, pseeker
Good information, and the specs look like that Foscam FI8918W.
Just wondering......could the video be viewed over the net to the x10 tablets since it uses activex  to view over the internet?

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »

I looked at AirSight manual (ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/XX34A%20OM.pdf)... From this link http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2011/01/chinese-ptz-ip-cameras.html   The X10 Airsight green admin panel accessible via browser looks like more like the Apexis APM-J011-WS and Not Foscam (see page 14 of the Airsight manual)  However the clones or clone of clones support similiar http commands. There is an excellent Android App called IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou which supports a ton of cameras.  This is what I use for my tablet and phone.   Anyway just for kicks, I told the IP Cam Viewer that I had an Apexis  APM-J011-WS (even though it is genuine Foscam).  With this configuration, I was able to view, pan/tilt etc

Just to be clear... I really don't know what's inside this AirSight.  Hopefully some one that has one can post what they find out.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:14:25 PM by pseeker »

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »

I have a generic IP Camera, which is a APM-J011-WS, and the manual is exactly like this Airsight camera manual.  I know this because I rewrote (for my own use) the entire manual.

RJJN

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

Just got the AirSight this week... the camera is not bad... good in low light not great but adequate color in normal light.  The instructions are terrible and missing a lot of language and if you are a novice, better stay close to the forums to figure out how to set it up properly.  For example, if you use a 64Bit system, the IPCamera.exe file loads into SysWOW64 and NOT in the 32 bit thread that it sets it up to work with.  Yo0u have to run the tool setup, go to properties and change it to the correct designation in SysWOW64\IPCamera.exe and not the Sys32 as originally targetted.  Of course, if you have a 32 bit machine, no problem.  As for the mobile option, still haven't figured that one out yet.  Instructions on say that from the web page to click Mobile but don't give you an app or any idea how to get there.  If anyone has figured that out, please let me know.

orangechicken

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

The airsight camera is Apexis APM-J011.  I ordered an airsight from x10 and got the camera delivered in an Apexis box, no rebadging of the name or anything.... and then I discovered  I could buy this camera 30-50 bucks cheaper elsewhere....

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:33:42 PM »

Also one thing to note:
  The Foscam FI8918's have two way audio and can be gotten for 75-90 bucks!
  There are also jacks on the base of the camera for an external mic and speaker if you don't want to use the internal mic and speaker.
The audio is pretty good for a cheapy!
The video quality is ok, just be aware that it does NOT have an IR cut filter so the daytime colors will be off, but the nightime IR is very good!
  Don't know if the Air(head)sight has audio???

mcguyver

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »

I wish they could have made the power cord longer. Geez you have to be 5 feet from a plug. What were they thinking? B:(
Blackberry Storm -3G only

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

So many devices use little transformers and those little round low-voltage plugs. I save the plugs, power supplys, charges and such from those devices when they bite the dust. It makes it easy to do things like create a low-voltage extention cord, or dig up a suitable replacement charger or power supply.

You can generally just cut and extend the low-voltage power. Be sure to keep the Positive, positive and the Negative, negative. Or you could just use and extention cord for the AC to the cameras powersupply.

mcguyver

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »

So many devices use little transformers and those little round low-voltage plugs. I save the plugs, power supplys, charges and such from those devices when they bite the dust. It makes it easy to do things like create a low-voltage extention cord, or dig up a suitable replacement charger or power supply.

You can generally just cut and extend the low-voltage power. Be sure to keep the Positive, positive and the Negative, negative. Or you could just use and extention cord for the AC to the cameras powersupply.

Yeah i have bags of transformers but none with the same size as the camera. Wish they could have made the cord 10 to 15 feet long but who knows how far you can go with an extention line if the transformer puts out low amperage. Anyway i bought male and female ends off of fleebay but havent had time to make one. FYI. the sizes is OD 3.5mm ID 1.3mm
Blackberry Storm -3G only

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »

....Wish they could have made the cord 10 to 15 feet long but who knows how far you can go with an extention line if the transformer puts out low amperage.

I don't know. With the old X10 cameras... 1000 feet of extention of the low-voltage (using CAT5) was possible. I've added [low-voltage] buried cable for both X10 and "other brands" of cameras and have never had a problem. I wouldn't guess 15 feet would be any problem.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:33:15 PM by HA Dave »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.