Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long time X10 user wnat to upgrade to AHP. Need some advice on scenes soft start  (Read 5287 times)

notslow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi guys,
I'm looking to upgrade my X-10 system with activehome pro and activephone pro.
I want to program scenes and would also like to have my lights ramp up and remember last setting. Can someone tell me what lamp modules and decorator switches do this? Is this standard now or special models?

Also, don't I need two way modules so activehome knows if they are on or off? Nnavigating x10.com to figure this out is a nightmare.

A little background. My X-10 system was set up 6 or 7 years ago. I just have palm pad wireless remotes, mini plug in remotes, standard decorator wall switches and lam p modules. No computer control yet.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

Yes, you do need two-way modules for ActiveHome or any other controller to know their state when they are turned on or off locally.  The only X10 modules that did that are the long discontinued LM14A, AM14A, and AM15A.  SmartHome makes a line of X10 compatible 2-way modules that work very well, and have features not included in the X10 products.  I have a LampLinc 2-way module that remembers the last dim setting, and has programmable on/off ramp rates.

There have been reports that the CM15A is longer being produced by X10.  Some other automation dealers still have them in stock, but the prices have gone up significantly.  A new production run of the old CM11A is available from at least one dealer on eBay.  That also runs under the latest version of ActiveHome Pro.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

notslow

Thanks for the info Jeff. Wow, why would X-10 discontinue the CM15a? Maybe they going to release a new replacement?
I'll check out SmartHome and lamplink modules.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page

Wow, why would X-10 discontinue the CM15a? Maybe they going to release a new replacement?

While not confirmed by X10, there have been reports that the X10 factory in China was closed.  The fact that some of the X10 products (like the CM15A) are no longer available directly from X10 gives some credence to that report.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:20:51 AM by JeffVolp »

notslow

Sounds like X-10 is may be on it's way under  :(
What a shame if that's the case.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43:42 AM by notslow »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

They may not be totally on the way out.
They seem to have shifted to selling X10 labeled items. Like the wifi camera and door intercoms. Made OEM for them.
Automation modules may fade away.

Smarthome recently started again making X10 only modules and their Insteon or Icon modules can also have an X10 address added to them.
I have not seen any reports on their new X10 only modules {PN starting with x10} but they look like the Icon line and maybe a X10 only firmware.

I have four Smarthome X10 modules to test on order. X10AM466,X10LM465,X10WS467DI and a X10WS467I.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:32:40 AM by Brian H »

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World

This is very interesting, as this isnt the first , ummmm, comment, on X10 that I've heard here lately in the same regards, as I am having an issue with an order with them right now I won't go in to, nothing that involves anything mentioned here specifically. But just the comment on X10 caught my eye and makes me a bit.... cautious, and worried now.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

notslow

That's great if they stay in business, but if they aren't selling x10 products, they won't have me as a customer. Most of these other items they sell are available from dozens of companies, websites and on Ebay. The x10 products at good prices are the only reason I put up with their horrible website.

Back on topic. After more reading it sounds like the updated lm465 and ws12a do everything I want except 2way. but that would only make a difference if I turn the device on directly, right? If I were to use a remote then AHP would know the device statue, correct?
I'm thinking of buying a dozen of each lm465 and ws12a while they are available cheap.

Just to be clear these modules soft start, remember last level and take the extended codes to dim to a specific level, correct?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page

After more reading it sounds like the updated lm465 and ws12a do everything I want except 2way. but that would only make a difference if I turn the device on directly, right? If I were to use a remote then AHP would know the device state, correct?

That is correct.  The main issue is from wall switches that are controlled manually.  In that case AHP would not know the state.

Just to be clear these modules soft start, remember last level and take the extended codes to dim to a specific level, correct?

I don't have any of them myself, but the new ones have been reported to behave like that.

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

I have four of the new Smarthome X10 only modules on order and will be testing them for use with AHP.

I have the Smarthome X10WS467DI {Toggle Dimmer Switch}, X10WS467I {Toggle Relay Switch}, X10AM466 {Appliance Module} and the X10LM465 {Lamp Module}. All are two way modules.

Biggest test will be if they stayed with their %dim reporting and dimming protocol or changed to either the extended X10 messaging or the old full On then dim down.

One thing I already know. Unlike the X10 two wire wall switches that steal power through the load. All of the Smarthome switches use a Line, Neutral and Load wire. Cap off the load if you want it to just send an X10 signal to another one in a three way setup.

notslow

There are only a couple lights I switch manually, so this may not be too much of a problem. This would probably only become an issue with more complex macros.
Needing the neutral line might be a deal breaker for me. I wonder how many people are willing to run a neutral if they don't have one. I may try a couple of their non dimming fluorescent switches since those switches will share a box with power sockets, but I think I'm going to get some ws12a for the rest of my switches.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:07:59 PM by notslow »

notslow

Well, I got a used cm15a on ebay, but I now I have to figure out software. What exactly do I need and does x10 have any kind of deals on the software?
They have all kinds of software addons listed, not sure which ones are good and which ones are a gimmick or unnecessary.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

You need AHP to control the CM15A, look here for various releases of AHP.  You will have to buy AHP as you need a license to use it.  The current versions of AHP have both Soft-Start Modules and Older Lamps (non Soft-Start) so all types of modules are covered.   Good Luck!!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17

notslow,

I put this this up on eBay last night.   It is a CM15A with the software suite if you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CM15A-X10-ActiveHome-Pro-USB-PC-Interface-w-Software-Suite-/330654798996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc8fd494

notslow

I already bought one, just got it this week. I can't find any deal pages for just the software and I'm still trying to figure out what plugins are needed.
Smart macros sounds like a good one. Still trying to figure out if myhouse, onalert or iwatch out are necessary. Anyone know of any deal packages for the software?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.