Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: dimmable LED bulbs  (Read 32404 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: dimmable LED bulbs
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »

I also use the cree lights from home depot with very good success. I use the 40 watt and 60watt ones that look like regular bulbs. I did purchase some of the home depot brand commercial electric leds with the rim on them to replace the old can lights i have that use 65 watt floods. These did not work. They stayed on dimly after the light switch (ws467) was turned off. I couldnt find a cree made replacement bulb that was like this design. So I ended up buying the cree 65watt flood light and used my old canisters in the ceiling and these work perfectly also. Something about the CREE made bulbs just seems to work very nicely with X10.

Just wanted to post about the CREE's also because others should know of their reliability and function with X10.

Hope this is helpful to some and I will continue to try other lights as I can.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »

Thank you for posting your findings.
Do you know if the Cree bulbs where the original design Filament Tower, High CRI TW Series or the new 4Flow series in the very light weight plastic shells?

netrunner

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

I also have used the Cree bulbs and have quite a few. I really like everything about them except for one thing: When dimmed by any type of dimmer, whether X10 or manual dimmers, they emit a slight humming buzzing sound. It's not very loud but where it has bothered me has been where there are several of them together being dimmed, such as in a chandelier. When you dim a bunch of them together,  the humming gets loud enough to be annoying to my ears.

What I have done is use the Phillips LED's in dimming of chandelier type situations. They emit pretty close to zero noise when dimmed. These are the bulbs I am referring to:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-E-424382/203553310?AID=11210757&PID=6157500&SID=1sgsoa8is14fr&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6157500-_-11210757&cj=true

As least as far as the Phillips and Cree LED's go, I found this article to be quite accurate:  http://www.cnet.com/news/which-led-light-bulbs-are-best-for-dimming

paizano1

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »

i know they are not the 4flow design, but I am not sure if they are the first or second versions. They come in a blue package and i can't seem to be able to find a model number. The lower dimming does generate a slight buzz and like the previous post could be a problem with many on at the same time. This however is not my situation so i am not sure how it would affect me.

I did rig up a ws467 to a power strip with a socket that i can try different bulbs. My biggest problem was making sure they turn on and off both manually and remotely and no slight dim or flicker when off.

The Cree seems to fit my needs.
The G.E. LED10DR30V /827S flood light from walmart also seems to function to my needs also. I forgot I had one of these installed in a different non X-10 fixture. So I tried it this morning in my rigged socket and it works too.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:56 AM »

The test setup sounds like a good way to test varied brands and models.
The original Crees are still made and I would imagine what is sold the most. They frequently also qualify for Energy Incentives.
The TWs look almost identical but have a more expensive glass shell. To modify the light output for a higher Color Renditioning Index.
All the packages seem to be of the blue cardboard.

paizano1

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »

I will say they are the old ones then. They have a rubberized coating on the bulb and have a plastic shell around the base of glass and the threads for the socket. I have seen the ones that look very much like a regular bulb without the plastic and the glass seems different.

paizano1

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »

Well next update to the cree family led bulbs.  I just tried a old style 100watt equivalent cree bulb with rubberized globe and white plastic base. Both the soft white and daylight bulbs do not function with the ws467. after turning it off it continues to glow dimly. I also tried the cree 60watt daylight 4filament new style without the plastic base and it also stays on dimly.

So far.
home depot consumer electric brand recess lighting 65watt replacement--No good
home depot cree original 40watt rubberized bulb with white plastic base-- Good
   ""            cree              60watt                                                         --Good
"" cree 4Flow new style   60watt daylight no plastic base just plastic bulb--No Good
""   ""    65watt flood light  soft white                                                   --Good

Hope this helps others.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.