Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need "push-push" to send on/off signals to X10 devices  (Read 4730 times)

scades

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need "push-push" to send on/off signals to X10 devices
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

I have needed to control lights from a very awkward place in terms of installing an ordinary wall box, so I ran, years ago, a 6-pair cable to the location. (Cable ends in the basement--no problems with an installation from there.) Because the lights in question will be on X10 wall switches elsewhere, I need to use push-on/push off SPST buttons, not a simple PSDT to control a device like the PSC01. So--I need an X10 module that will toggle an on-signal and an off-signal (to the wall switch) as I push the SPST button.
I thought there was an X10 device that plugged in to an outlet and operated that way, but I now can't locate it--or, of course, I may be hallucinating.
While I am a long-time X10 user, I don't plan to go ActiveHome any time soon, so I need a non-computer-based solution.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:03:07 PM by scades »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Need "push-push" to send on/off signals to X10 devices
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

So you want to use a SPST push button that is momentary and not an alternating On or Off with each actuation?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

Your best bet would be a Stick-a-Switch communicating with a TM751 or RR501.

I do not recall any X-10 toggle in N. America although there is one in Europe.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »

Yes some of the European devices have features we never got.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

The OP is probably recalling the Powerflash (EBay) but I don't believe it was a toggle but needed an on/off switch closure.
If you cannot use an on/off switch, you might be able to use a push-button to toggle a latching low-voltage relay which, in turn, toggles the Powerflash.

If the cable is in-wall and there's room for a switchplate as well as a bit of room behind it, you could mount a rocker switch like the one below in a blank wallplate and use it to control the Powerflash - no voltage needed.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:22:48 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

scades

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

So you want to use a SPST push button that is momentary and not an alternating On or Off with each actuation?

Exactly!

twood

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »

Why not just use the companion (or slave) switch for the 3-way wall switch?  It won't confuse anyone wondering :Is this the light switch?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-Home-Automation-3-Way-Wall-Switch-w-Slave-WS4777-/220795715526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3368733fc6#ht_670wt_906
Life is good...even better when it's automated.

scades

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

Thanks to all.

twood, I appreciate your reply, but the reason I have this problem is that I can't run a piece of Romex to the location where I need the control. I've got some twisted pairs there but that was the best I could do.

Unless I'm missing something, the slave switch does require connection to a 120V hot/neutral line.

--Steve

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »

First I believe it is not legal to have low voltage and AC wiring in the same electrical box if there isn't a divider between them.
I was thinking of a small DC NO relay contact wired in the X10 switch box from the Line to the Control connection to simulate a slave switch  and then using a low voltage control signal from the basement on the twisted pair.

scades

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »

Brian--

Right--NEC prohibits both 120V on anything but approved (14 ga minimum) cable, and mixing low and house voltage in the same box (without a divider, that is). I used to have a few 12 V latching relays around, and indeed used them 45 [sic] years ago to control GE relays. (Anyone old enough to remember those things?). Maybe I'll hunt some up. The ones I remember plugged into old 8-pin vacuum tube sockets. Ah, transformers, aluminum chasses, hole punches.... Those were the days.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »

Oh yes. I can remember stuff like that. When vacuum tubes where cheap and a transistor was like $50.00.
One of my final tests in Electronics School was draw a transformer less 5 tube AM radio and explain what each part did to make it work.  ;D

Ah the glow of a final output tube in a Motorola Base Station. That had lost its grid bias and the glass sucked in because it started to soften.

twood

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »

Thanks to all.

twood, I appreciate your reply, but the reason I have this problem is that I can't run a piece of Romex to the location where I need the control. I've got some twisted pairs there but that was the best I could do.

Unless I'm missing something, the slave switch does require connection to a 120V hot/neutral line.

--Steve

I think one of us is missing something...I'm suggesting using the companion switch as a dry contact input to the universal module as you mentioned earlier.  Use one of your twisted pairs and not a romex cable.  It would complete your X10 switch setup and no realtor or home inspector would have any problems with it.
Life is good...even better when it's automated.

luke03

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »

If you have X10 RF receiver, one way to do this is to hook up a WebControl board (sold at Amazon.com). The push button will then go to one TTL input pin. You can write a small PLC code paste into its GUI.  In that PLC code, you check if TTL1 is on, like
TSTEQ IP1 1
CALLSUB light1

Then in the light1 sub routing, you will toggle a variable RAM1, if that was zero, you send a X10 command to turn on, then set the RAM1 to 1.
If that RAM1 was 1 already, you then send a x10 command to turn off, then set RAM1 to zero.

I am using one of this to control lights and garage door. It works well for me.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.