Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom x10 computer  (Read 2923 times)

jarleifv

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Custom x10 computer
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »

So my second laptop harddrive just died...and thankfully i was able to recover my files..   >!

so I've decided that I'm done with laptops..and harddrives..  B:(

i'm building a custom computer that will fit in the built-in shelf below my 47"..
I only have 4" to work with as far as height, and 13" depth... so I had to be a little creative as far as what case to use, I looked around for small form factor HTPC cases, but found none that were big enough, yet small enough to fit in the space...

So..  -:)

I have this old Daewoo DVD player, so I stripped the insides and found that it's just big enough to fit a micro ATX board!

I'll be running Windows XP from a 16GB Compact flash card, and running the whole thing off a 220w small power supply. Considering it'll be running 24/7, I wanted a power supply that didn't use as much power. So i'll be posting some pics and a build log of the project when I receive the pieces.. if it's something you guys would find interesting.

;D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Custom x10 computer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Sounds Cool, I can't wait to see the results!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jarleifv

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »

just found a way to install Windows XP from a flash drive... now to find out how to limit disk read/write cycles to extend the life of the CF card..

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »

..... if it's something you guys would find interesting.

Most certainly something I find interesting. Please continue to share.... and pictures would be nice.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TheMark38

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

Good Luck with that jarleifv, I can't wait to see it!  :)%

As far as cutting down on read/writes in Win XP, you may want to stop by Black Vipers site, he's has had some get tips for a long time now on shutting down unneeded services running in Windows. Here's a link that should help you get down to just the basics of running servies; note the "Bare Bones" services settings on the right in the bottom graph of XP services...

http://www.blackviper.com/2008/05/19/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/

This also graph shows diffrent levels of sets of services, depending on what you really need running.

Hope this helps a bit  >!

jarleifv

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »

Thanks!

I'm also disabling the page file..for sure..to save space primarily, and also disabling system restore no doubt..
I'll take some pics tonight of the startup of the project..

>!

jarleifv

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »

Here's the pictures of the start of the project.. wish me luck on fitting it all in there..especially the heatsink/fan for the CPU...   :-\

The Motherboard is due to arrive on Tuesday, so we should have some more progress at that time..

https://picasaweb.google.com/110729214851906940309/HTPCProject

Thanks! ;D

jarleifv

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:50:10 AM »

Motherboard and power supply out for delivery at the moment, so I'll be starting the project tonight...hopefully..
The Compact Flash card came yesterday, so now I just need the IDE-to-CF adapter delivered and we can start making something happen..   :)%

TheMark38

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »

jarleifv - Nice starting pics! If the motherboard mount, with the CPU, heat sink and cooling fan are too tall, can you use a dremel with a cut wheel, and just cut the top enough to clear the fan out of the top.... and then bulid a "hood scoop"... with a NOS decal on it!?!  rofl

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.