Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newer AM486 module for momentary operation  (Read 6536 times)

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newer AM486 module for momentary operation
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »

There's an older thread on the board requesting modification on newer AM486 module for momentary operation.  I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to modify this module.  Thanks in advance.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Newer AM486 module for momentary operation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »

I don't know if there are instructions for modifying the "newer" AM466, but I've seen instructions for the "older" ones.

Depending on your application, you might be able to do it using a macro.
Just create a macro triggered by the "ON" of the same HC/UC as the Appliance Module.
The only action it needs to do is send an "OFF" for that same HC/UC.
It wouldn't truly be "momentary" operation, but it might be pretty close.

You might also try looking online for the AM466 equivalents that were sold under the other labels (IBM, RCA, Radio Shack, etc). As far as I know, those are all the "old" style ones, and you should be able to use the instructions online to convert them to momentary operation.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:39:52 PM »

Did you want the momentary AC to the outlet mod or the momentary dry contact mod?

I believe I accidentally did a momentary AC mod when trying to remove the is the relay On or Off sensor current.
If memory serves me. It clicks three times so the momentary would alternate between On  and Off.
I will look at a board and get the resistor ID silk screened on the PC Board.

I have done the Dry Contact output mod on a new one. The circuit is different so a few diodes had to be reversed from the old dry contact mod.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:07:39 PM »

I looked at one of mine.
R14 330K 1/2 watt. Near the output edge of the PCB only resistor connected to the Line pin of the output.
It may only hit twice. I tried to see my modified dry contact ones current pulses and it looked more like two.

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »

Thanks guys.  According to the 'old style' AM486, all one has to do is remove a 330K resistor, but don't know what to do with the new style AM486.  All of my AM486's are the new style.  I don't use X10 software, so no macros.  I want to use HR12A (PalmPad Remote Control) to momentarily trigger the AC outlet of the AM486 (NOT a dry contact mod). Brian, yesterday I was playing around with it and decided to cut (disconnect) one end of R14 (330K).  When I used the PalmPad to trigger, it clicked twice and then stayed ON.  I was not able to get it to turn off using the OFF button.  I soldered the connection back on, and it's back to normal. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »

I believe the momentary modification causes what you have found.
If you want a momentary AC On pulse. Manually ratchet the relay Off or turn it Off before doing the mod. So everytime you turn it On with a Palm Pad. It pulses On then back Off.
R14 is the only one I have seen that senses the AC On or Off for the controller.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:10:08 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.