Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SMS to control lighting  (Read 27531 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
SMS to control lighting
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »

I purchased MyHouse Online when I bought my AHP kit last year, but never looked into it's actual capabilities.  Well, after looking into things, I've come to realize that it won't do exactly what I want.  Rather than dogging on how bad the software is (which I can't say from personal experience anyway), I'll just say I'm not going to use it.

So, what I've decided will work for me is using my mobile phone to send SMS text messages to my automation server and have it interpret into actual commands.  There's a number of reasons to go this route, but the simplest explanation is that I'm cheap.  The most likely use for this feature is to turn on lights after they normally would turn off so that the dogs aren't left in the dark.  Typically, this would be when my wife and I are at a sporting event that runs later than expected.  I have my lights set up to turn off at 11pm, but I'd like a way that doesn't require paying $5+ to turn the lights on once (thank you very much CenturyLink  B:( ).

I know that I can send a SMS via an email from a PC using the correct email address (done it many times).  I know I can send a SMS to a PC by entering the email in the text number field (also done it).  So, I guess all I need to figure out is how to tell the computer to check wherever those messages are sent.  I don't have a need for an email server other than for this, so I'm not sure if that's the best route.  Perhaps there is a lightweight app that can parse gmail (or somewhere else) for messages and then delete/mark as read?  I'm mainly looking for other user's thoughts on this so I can at least firm up a concept to work on.  If anyone has a link for a similar project, that would be even better!

Thanks!   >!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: SMS to control lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »

I don't have time to search for it now, but there was an SMS-to-X10 3rd party app, that was free.
I think it used Google Voice on the receiving end.

Separately there was another one I found a few years ago, I think it was called "X10 EmailComm".

It is a series of scripts that run, to check a pop3 account at whatever interval you set, and pass the commands in the specially-formed e-mails over to the AHP SDK.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »

I did a search using your suggestion and found a post for exactly what I was hoping for...but the project doesn't look to have been finished.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=18256.0

I found a few more projects (both Linux and Windows), but nothing that's a free module.  It looks like Adaptive Home Logic Software has this capability built in, but I wasn't really looking to switch to another paid application.  Who knows if it will work for me in the long run.  I hate buying programs without knowing if they are really want I want...

http://www.acentient-software.com/ahl3/default.htm

I searched for around an hour and didn't find the projects that you mentioned.  If you get a chance to take a look or even just post some additional search terms to consider, that would be spectacular.  Thanks!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:38 AM »

Of course, just after I post this, I decide to search a different way in one last try.  And...the google voice sms program thread pops up.  I'll have to review that more thoroughly.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21583.0

and

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=24267.0

and

forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19197.0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:31:08 AM by bkenobi »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »

The X10 emailcomm script was created by Warren Bell, back around 2004.
Unfortunately, the URL that it was hosted at isn't there anymore, and I can't find any other traces of it.

If anyone here knows how to contact him, perhaps we can ask him if he can repost it again.

I don't know if any of the other 3rd party apps (live BVC or PCC) can check pop3 email.
Hopefully, their authors will chime in and give more detail on what they can do.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

PCC will check and send email.
However it currently doesn't delete them once read.
It can be set up to act on them but in a limited way.
I may look at expanding the email options in the future if demand is there.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »

What plugin controls that feature?  I have looked at PPC in passing before, but it didn't look like it did what I wanted (well, it looked like it did much more than I wanted is a better way to say it).  Does PPC require the installation of a web server, or is one built in to the package?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

The email option is part of the standard program no plug-in is needed
PCC checks\sends email from\to a pop3 server.
PCC doesn't include a web server
As you pointed out I think PCC is more then what your looking for.
However few if any users use all its options.

iHouse is another program that can send receive email and has a server built in
However I've never used the email part of the program and it too is more then your looking for.
Many users have PCC working with iHouse to enhance both programs abilities
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »

I hadn't seen google voice before.  I signed up for an account, but can't test it since I was a genius earlier and installed my phone in the toilet.   B:(

Guess it's time for a new phone now!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »

I hadn't seen google voice before.  I signed up for an account, but can't test it since I was a genius earlier and installed my phone in the toilet.   B:(

Guess it's time for a new phone now!
I don't have SMS on my phone (because I don't want to pay for it).
I tested totally within Google Voice, by sending messages to myself.

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »

bkenobi,
Here is an old post I posted. I have since been able to, not only control lighting from my phone, but receive status messages on my phone of what is on and/or off at any given time. I even took it one step further and I am able to run Non-X10 (Windows/DOS) programs from my phone. With a litte batch file programing you can control your computer and house from your phone via SMS text messages. I can even pass veriables to programs or batch files.  I used Google voice 3 times... and found out I got charged for texts!

Bob

PajamaGuy,

You are a GENIUS! I downloaded a FREE email client, Pegasus Mail, Google it. set up an email address just for X10 use, scripted a few batch files, and it works like a champ! the WAF is at a very high level and I am referred to as a true GEEK! thank you.
BTY guys this will work on the cm15a so no need to do the Google voice thing.   

Bob 

Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »

From what I've read, Google Voice does not charge a fee to receive text messages.  It apparently does charge my carrier to send one though (didn't know that, so I'll probably have a single charge for the text that says "test".   :(

There are ways around getting charged for text messages that are sent though.  I think the easiest way is simply to send the message from an email instead.  I can simply send an email to my verizon phone by using <number>@vtext.com and it works great (been doing that for years).  If I can use the google voice to receive and email to send status (if I choose to add that), then it should be free.  It might be easier to just use email in the first place, but then I'd be back to parsing them myself rather than using one of the scripts here.

Thanks for the input (and the heads up to charges)!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »

From what I've read, Google Voice does not charge a fee to receive text messages.  It apparently does charge my carrier to send one though (didn't know that, so I'll probably have a single charge for the text that says "test".   :(

There are ways around getting charged for text messages that are sent though.  I think the easiest way is simply to send the message from an email instead.  I can simply send an email to my verizon phone by using <number>@vtext.com and it works great (been doing that for years).  If I can use the google voice to receive and email to send status (if I choose to add that), then it should be free.  It might be easier to just use email in the first place, but then I'd be back to parsing them myself rather than using one of the scripts here.

Thanks for the input (and the heads up to charges)!

You can't send SMS to a Google voice number.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

You certainly can!  I sent a text message to the number and it immediately popped up.  I replied to the message and it showed up on my cell immediately.   ;D

Oh, and to clear up what I said earlier about charges.  If you have GV set up to forward text messages on to a cell phone, you will get charged a per message fee.  If you just view them or send directly from the google interface, there does not appear to be a charge (according to what I've read).  I need to contact my phone company to verify, but that's what the info on the site says...

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »

You can't send SMS to a Google voice number.

You certainly can!  I sent a text message to the number and it immediately popped up.  I replied to the message and it showed up on my cell immediately.

Sorry, my reply was missing a word. It should have read "You can't send e-mail SMS to a Google voice number. "
Meaning, you can't send SMS messages to Google Voice via e-mail. The Google Voice number doesn't have an associated e-mail address (unlike most cell-phone numbers, which DO).
Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.