Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appliance modules go on fine but will not shut off  (Read 3014 times)

bensmail

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Appliance modules go on fine but will not shut off
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »

I have 4 appliance modules set up on the same code D1

A XPPF filter is plugged into each one and then 12 house dimmer switches are plugged into the filter.

When I turn on D1  all 4 click on. When I turn off D1 all of them go OFF-ON  OFF-ON  OFF-ON

I can't shut them off.

Is there any way to get this working reliably or should I go buy 4, 7-day timers?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Appliance modules go on fine but will not shut off
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »

Try plugging a 7W night light in one of the Appliance Modules. Does it still go "clickty-clickty-click"?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »

If you plug a standard lamp into one of them. Does that one work OK?
Are the appliance modules new?
You have twelve standard dimmer switches connected on each one?
How heavy is the load on each one? An XPPF is only rated for five amps and get warm if you push them too close to five amps.
As a test as a single low wattage night light bulb to one of them along with the rest of the loads and see if it acts better.

bensmail

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »

I have a unique way to control christmas lights to music using standard cheap rotary dimmers. Each one has a single string of christmas lights and they are not usually on all at the same time. I don't want them powered up at all when the show isn't on.

I will try the nightlight thing tomorrow. I just assumed the problem was the high volume of triacs (in the dimmers) causing noise on the line. It is strange, always goes off-on 3 times.

Actually 2 are 3-way appliance modules and the other two are in-line module installed at the breaker panel. All do the same thing. I just ordered four more 5amp filters.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:54:30 PM »

I have a unique way to control christmas lights to music using standard cheap rotary dimmers. Each one has a single string of christmas lights and they are not usually on all at the same time. I don't want them powered up at all when the show isn't on.

Now you need to tell us more.  I'm curious.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:53:08 PM »

Now you need to tell us more.  I'm curious.

you can second the curiosity let us in on your setup  ::)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:13 AM »

Thank you for the update on what is being controlled.
Sounds like a very unique use for X10.

On-Off-On sounds like noise on the output confusing the electronics sensor that determines if the output is On or Off.
So if you sent it an Off and it was already Off. The relay would not click and turn it On in error.

It is possible the noise is not in the range your XPPF removes from the power lines.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:54:59 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »

I have a unique way to control christmas lights to music using standard cheap rotary dimmers.
I will try the nightlight thing tomorrow. I just assumed the problem was the high volume of triacs (in the dimmers) causing noise on the line. It is strange, always goes off-on 3 times.
Opto isolators replacing the dimmer pot?

I have problems with old AM's controlling ceiling fans. When the fan is in MED or LOW speed the capacitors acting as reactors causes the AM to go "clickity, clickity, click. I think the phase shift created by the caps confuses the relay position sensing circuit, like Brian said. The problem can be solved by a night light or a resistor across the AM output (I have success with 33K 3watt).
I don't know if the XPPF could be causing the problem, but try your lights without the filters. With that many dimmers they may not be controllable without the filters, but worth a test.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bensmail

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »

SOLVED

The night light worked! That circuit worked without problem. The other 3 turned off then right back on. Not 3 times like before, just once. Now I just need to get 4 cheap nightlights.

Also, i removed the filters completely. All this time I was chasing noise. I'll put my filters on other things.

As far as the dimmer controlled christmas lights. I replaced the rotary POT with photo-resistors (photocells) mounted on a acrylic sheet resting up against a laptop screen. Each cell is pointing at a square on the screen that turns the light on and off and even dimmable with grayscale. Dimming up doesn't work very well due to the nature of the cheap dimmer but dimming down works great. I wrote my own software to program and play back the song and the CD player in the laptop plays the music. I have the audio hooked up to a small FM transmitter. Turning it all on and off every day is a small job and requires someone to be home (and awake). 2 years ago I set up the X10. I believe the first year it worked fine. Last year some started to click back on. This year all 4 did it 100% of the time.

Thanks for the help! I'll sleep better not worrying about the power being on all night.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.