Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: skype and netflix don't work well at all on my brand new airpad7p-ics  (Read 4198 times)

TBigMan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I bought this for my son as a reward for doing well in school. I'm sad to say that within minutes of setting it up, I heard sighs of despair. The Netflix app installs and runs, problem is you get audio and no video. Just a black screen. Then he tried to skype me. It installs and runs. He can see me just fine, but his video to me is unacceptable. wrong colors full of lines. I thought I was watching OnTV through a cable de-scrambler from the 80's. Then I get on this forum and find all kinds of people with the same issues with notes from staff saying that skype is not supported? If so then why does the manual and the website say " it works very well " are there any official updates for this device? If so where do I get them? I don't mind so much about getting apps from amazon, but I want them to actually work. I will give it a few days to get updated and working, then I will get an RMA for a full refund including the extra money I spent on shipping. Simple case of false advertising if you ask me. :(

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: skype and netflix don't work well at all on my brand new airpad7p-ics
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »

Netflix and Skype video problems are widely documented issues with ICS. These are not issues with this tablet. Skype works fine, unless you are making a video call.

I suggest that you consider loading the Gingerbread version of the OS. This should fix the Skype problem, and I think the Netflix problem as well. You can find information here:

The latest update is available here:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=26336.0

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »

Netflix and Skype video problems are widely documented issues with ICS.  Skype works fine, unless you are making a video call.

Odd. Video Skype works fine on my ICS Motorola Zoom. Is this a ICS/processor issue?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

Netflix and Skype video problems are widely documented issues with ICS. These are not issues with this tablet. Skype works fine, unless you are making a video call.

It seems a little strange to me that "Skype works fine unless, you are making a video call" when the MAIN feature of Skype is free video calling.

Perhaps I'm missing something vital, but how can something possibly be said to "work fine" when one of the major functions does not operate?
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

I am not able to offer assistance with a particular app that has well documented issues. Please refer to Skype's Android forum for assistance, where you will find countless issues relating to Android and video call problems.

TBigMan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »

I suggest that you consider loading the Gingerbread version of the OS. This should fix the Skype problem, and I think the Netflix problem as well. You can find information here:

The latest update is available here:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=26336.0

It may be well documented somewhere else, but not on the page where I made my purchase. I would not have bought this device had x10 been honest with me up front and said, it was not a certified device from google so no app store only amazon apps and the specific mentions of Skype and Netflix working well. Being total lies. I also know I would not have been alone. A lot of people would have passed on this device. So now the damage is done. I have it and I have to live with it. so I can either downgrade it. or just not care that I can't watch any content on the thing. not to mention there is some hackerish way to make any updates to the thing. why can't it just automatically update itself like every other device on the market? what are my options if the downgrade does not work? or bricks my device? and why would you sell an ICS product and then when your customer " Me " tells you it's not working as advertised you just play all elitist tech guy and talk down to me like I should have known that it was not going to work. so who is working on resolving the issues with ICS? I will go bug them.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

Tbigman,

It was not my intention to sound like I was talking down to you, and I apologize if I did.

There are no lies in our Aipad 7p ad.  It does not state anywhere that Netflix works or that Skype video calls works (it says Skype Chat). The ad specifically says that it is compatible Amazon Market – it does not imply anywhere that it is certified for the Google App Store (tablets that are cost 2-3 times as much as ours).  It is also reasonable to expect that a computer device that contains a particular operating system will only work with apps that are designed to work with that operating system.

Now, let’s get the tablet working for you.  The Gingerbread version of the OS is an older version, and the Airpad 7p is very stable using that OS. Nearly all apps will work with GB. I suggest that anybody who would prefer the most stable OS that is compatible with the widest variety of apps, to install Gingerbread for now. In a few months, when the bugs are worked out of ICS and Apps, then reinstall ICS.

The procedure for reflashing the OS is typical for this type of product. As long as you understand how to create folders, extract files, and install drivers, reflashing the tablet is not difficult and it will only take a few minutes to do. The motherboard in that tablet is supposed to be “brick proof” – if something goes wrong even if the unit appears to be dead, you can recover it by reflashing it. I have updated at least 1000 of these and I have not bricked one of them. As long as your unit is in warranty you do not have to worry about it anyway. If you would prefer, you can sent the unit to us and I will do it for you (send me a PM and I will arrange it for you).

With the current version of ICS, I am not aware of any issues that are within our control to fix. The issues that you are having will need to be fixed by Netflix and Skype.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »

There are no lies in our Aipad 7p ad.  It does not state .......that Skype video calls works (it says Skype Chat).

Wow.  :o 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

LazerFlash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »

There are no lies in our Aipad 7p ad.  It does not state anywhere that Netflix works or that Skype video calls works (it says Skype Chat). The ad specifically says that it is compatible Amazon Market – it does not imply anywhere that it is certified for the Google App Store...

I just had a flashback to the late 1980s and all those car ads that quoted EPA mileage ratings, but in the really fine print it also said, "...your mileage may vary".  :'

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.