Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can ds12a/ds10a door/window sensors talk to CM19a PC USB transceiver  (Read 9886 times)

anony243

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi all,

I want to create a system in which the door sensor inputs will be processed by my *OWN* program running on a Linux computer to decide what action to take.

My computer will interface to the X10 world using the CM19a USB transceiver.

My question is whether the door/window sensors' signals can be read by the CM19a USB controller?

Thanks!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Can ds12a/ds10a door/window sensors talk to CM19a PC USB transceiver
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »

I have no idea whether the CM19A can read these but the security sensors use a slightly different RF protocol than used for lights/appliances so my guess is no.

However, it's fairly simple to roll your own, using inexpensive RF receivers such as those listed on my website. The RM1SG receiver is very wideband which is an advantage with the poorly tuned X10 transmitters. You would need a microcontroller to capture/decode/output the results and this is much easier to do using a serial port than via USB.

In about two weeks, I'll be sending Noam a Zarduino-28TM for beta testing with the CM11A and will include routines for receiving/sending RF. They should be available from a distributor soon afterwards.

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »

I don't have any exact data on what the CM19A outputs with a Security Device like the DS10A and DS12A.

I do know that AHP with the On-Alert add on. Can register and detect both my DS12A and DS10A Door/Window Sensors.
Processing Sensor Triggered, Delayed Sensor Triggered and Sensor Closed messages.

They do also send a check in message about every hour. I found on mine it was the Open or Closed message and indicated if the DS12A or DS10A was set to delayed or instant triggering.

A search here may find some good data as I know Linux Users are using Security Sensors in their setup.
Found this one and there are others. Using Linux and CM19A in the search choices.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b931rnq911720eu6g2pspvk4j5&topic=22045.0
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:40:04 AM by Brian H »

anony243

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Do you also have an X10 security console? When you initialized the door sensors, did you follow the steps given here: http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/OnAlert_Product_Manual#Preparing_the_Hardware ? They ask you to first pair the sensor with a console (different from the cm19a transceiver).

2. Can you tell me if the transceiver light lights up when a door sensors sends it a signal?

3. How did you discover the ID for your different sensors? Don't you need to know the ID of a sensor to configure it within OnAlert?

Thanks a lot!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »

Basically that is what I did.
One thing you do not have to pair the security sensor with a console first.
In the add a sensor routine for On Alert. It asks if the sensor is registered with a security console. You can say No if you are using it independently.
I will have to pull a CM19A out as I normally don't use AHP with a CM15A or CM19A any more.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »

OK in AHP 3.318 with a CM19A and On Alert.
Added a DS10A and it registered Open and Closed when I moved the magnet.
The
The Red LED does not light on receiving an RF signal. It should Flicker On when sending an RF signal.
The Activity Monitor did show some entries for the DS10A I had added.

anony243

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »

Thanks a lot. You are a hero. This is very helpful. I am going to try my sensors with mochad and see how far I get.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:17 AM »

Sounds good. I hope you can see and decode the data.
My Activity Log shows.
Delayed Sensor Triggered if the small switch is in Max and Sensor Triggered if the switch is on Min. Both positions show a Sensor Closed when the magnet is next to the sensor.

A side note. The new DS12A has two separate zones built into it. One zone is the internal magnetic switch on the side of the module. The second one is the external one accessable with the terminal block on the lower edge. Normally has a jumper wire on it. It also sends a I am awake command around every hour or so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:14:21 AM by Brian H »

anony243

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »

Hey Brian,

I am able to receive RF events from the sensors via my CM19a trasceiver under Linux using mochad (Ubuntu 11.10, mochad-0.1.13)!!!! Thanks a lot for helping me understand how the sensors and CM19a work.

The range isn't too good. My house is about 1000 sqft, but not all locations are sending a signal to the transceiver.

Looking at forum posts to soup up the transmitter and receiver. Would you happen to know anything about extending the range of the receiver or transmitter also? :)

Thanks again!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

Glad it is working for you.
I don't recall any threads on the CM19A and extending the range.
Maybe our search function may find something.
I have the schematic of the CM19A from the FCC Database. You may have to use care with the antenna. As I am not too sure how well designed the transmitter part is. X10 may have used the tuning coil as part of the antenna system.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.