Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alarm Triggers on Unarmed System  (Read 4318 times)

RETD

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Alarm Triggers on Unarmed System
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »

Newbie here.

I've had an X10 home security system with the DS7000 console for about 7 years now.

It's been OK and for the most part works as advertised, with the occasional false alarm when the system is armed and the occasional random chime when we are home and the system is unarmed.

Recently however the DS7000 goes into its "alarm tripped" mode, sounding the siren, turning on the connected lights, etc. but the system is NOT ARMED (and no, it's not being armed by a neighbour with a similar system).  This has happened twice within the last 2 weeks, once in the middle of the night.  Trying to stop the siren by pressing "disarm" on the remote doesn't work (Why would it if it's not armed? ) and the only solution is to unplug the base unit from the wall and pull the battery.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?  TIA for any suggestions.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Alarm Triggers on Unarmed System
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »

Newbie here.

I've had an X10 home security system with the DS7000 console for about 7 years now.

It's been OK and for the most part works as advertised, with the occasional false alarm when the system is armed and the occasional random chime when we are home and the system is unarmed.

Recently however the DS7000 goes into its "alarm tripped" mode, sounding the siren, turning on the connected lights, etc. but the system is NOT ARMED (and no, it's not being armed by a neighbour with a similar system).  This has happened twice within the last 2 weeks, once in the middle of the night.  Trying to stop the siren by pressing "disarm" on the remote doesn't work (Why would it if it's not armed? ) and the only solution is to unplug the base unit from the wall and pull the battery.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?  TIA for any suggestions.

Well that's a new one for me.  ??? Try this just reinstall everything and be sure to generate NEW codes for everything and let us know how that works out.

Tom j.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »

How could he have

the only solution is to unplug the base unit from the wall and pull the battery.

without   

Snip from your reply
Try this just reinstall everything and be sure to generate NEW codes for everything

Summary : He is already doing a System Reinstall by unpluging and disconnecting battery.

These X-10 devices are strange at times. Mostly mine work but from time to time I will have one or two zones go solid Red and one or two go blinking all at once.. I clear errors by walking around with console and opening / closing (cycling) the door / windor units and all is well again.

Well yesterday the console went A.S.   twice in a 3 hour time frame.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:06:25 AM by everydayflyer »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »

Do any of the Zone LEDs show what was triggering it?

I would try the whole reinstall from scratch as suggested.
If that doesn't help. The consloe maybe failing.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »

and dont rule out the obvious - it got me for 2 weeks once when a remote fell down between a desk & a wall and "pushed" a button randomly thruout the day & night.

so, any chance this is not a failure but real PANIC code?  check the buttons on all ur remotes that have panic button and make sure none is partial stuck down, or heaven forbid, stuck between the desk and wall right on the panic button....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »

Mike brought up a good point and reminded me of one more thing.
Some remotes do strange things as their batteries are about to die. You may want to check the batteries in the remotes.

RETD

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »

Some good ideas here.

So far I've reset the base unit and only installed two remotes - I currently use it for one simple home automation on/off application.  There are no sensors installed as of yet.  So far, for about 3 weeks the unit hasn't alarmed at all.  I suspect I will have to install one sensor at a time and let the unit sit for a while (weeks?) to see if it remains stable.  A very time consuming process!

As for the "stuck" remotes, all remotes were always present and accounted for.

I didn't even think to look to see if there was a zone LED lit as I was frantically trying to pull the battery (while on my hands & knees in a confined space).  I'd re-install everything and maybe look for a lit zone LED next time it does it but the wife won't have any of it as she doesn't like being woken  in the middle of the night!  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.