Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pr511  (Read 2015 times)

Maloco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Pr511
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

I want to use only the sensor unit of the PR511, to turn on a light (using its secoundary light turning on capibility) that is already working with x10 switches. It seems to work OK with a load between the blue and white wires. (I used a pigtail and bulb on a temporary basis). Am I able to directly connect the blue wire to the white wire in order to bipass the primary function of the sensor, or must there be a load between them to prevent damage.?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Pr511
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »

...or must there be a load between them to prevent damage.?

Do NOT connect the blue wire to the white wire. If I remember correctly... the blue wire goes to the light bulb(s) along with a white wire (actually I checked the online manual). Those wires are powered when motion (or dusk) is detected. Without a load (light) wiring them together would be a dead short.

If you're not going to be using a light.... cap the blue wire with a wire nut. Then cap the extra white wire with a separate wire nut.Then use electrical tape on each wire nut to be extra sure the wire nuts stay secure.

I've never used the floodlight (PR511) "wired" without a bulb. But I have had a bulb burn out. And the sensor functioned fine without a light. I added a modified image that shows the blue and white wires (separate with wire nuts). If you don't feel comfortable and knowledgeable with wiring... get a more experienced friend to give you a hand.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:22:51 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Maloco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

Excellent, all now works fine. I had not run into the house to look fast enough to see that the sensor WAS working without the blue and white connected.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »

all now works fine.

Thank you for the reply. Sometimes we don't get replies to the simple one post answers. It's always nice to know things worked out well. I use and really like those PR511's. Just don't point them into the sun and they will serve you well for many years.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.