Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Connection Thru Condo Network Without Local Computer???  (Read 4582 times)

atomheart

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Connection Thru Condo Network Without Local Computer???
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

If I own a remote condo with wireless internet access, is there ANY method of wirelessly connecting an IP Camera onto the general network WITHOUT a dedicated onsite computer so that the camera can be accessed remotely over the internet?  I obviously would not have direct, physical access to the central condo computer/router complex to set it up.  It seems that the mere fact of turning the camera on would allow it to wirelessly connect to the router which could then subsequently be accessed from my remote computer over the internet.  How about connecting the camera to a simple "print server" type of device instead of a dedicated computer?

What am I missing here?  It seems all IP camera setup procedures require at least a one-time, temporary physical connection to a local computer which I wouldn't have.  It seems like a camera could incorporate the relatively simple ability to find and connect to a wireless router thereby making it available to subsequent remote configuring and setup? 

Am I crazy?

atomheart

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Wireless Connection Thru Condo Network Without Local Computer???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »

I currently have 3 Foscam camera fed into my router wirelessly although wired would be the same.

I can connect to them through my router using my iPod Touch or laptop.  Or I can connect to them while I'm away.

I've assigned a port to each one of them and forwarded that port in my router.

While I'm away, I use dyndns.org which handles dynamic dns changes for my router, in case the router dns changes.

At home I connect to a camera using http://192.168.2.xx:8080 (where xx is my camera's address and the port I assigned on the camera).

Outside my LAN, while away, I use http://myrouter.dyndns.org:8080 (where myrouter.dyndns.org is the address I created at dyndns.org when I created an account there - not my actual address BTW).

No computer needs to be on.  I'm sure most cameras that work wirelessly/wired would be the same.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:20:44 PM by m82a1pa »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Wireless Connection Thru Condo Network Without Local Computer???
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »

Just turning on the camera will not connect it to a wireless network if it hasn't been configured
Your IP camera needs to be told how to connect to a wireless network.
You have to input the networks name and password
Once the camera is configured it saves the info so you can move to the location needed and power it up.
If you can access the router to setup port forwarding you'll have the info to input into the camera.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.