Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Momentary Mod  (Read 6833 times)

artart

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Momentary Mod
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »

I want to replace a universal module with something more reliable based on a lamp module or appliance module or make some kind of mod to the UM to make it more reliable. I am on my third UM now and it is also sticking in the on position. Some posts here make reference to mods but my searches here and using google have not resulted in anything useful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Momentary Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »

There are also modes for appliance modules on this site.
http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm

I have done a new CFL friendly one. Though the instructions had to be modified to do it.

Note they are momentary and not Latch On then Latch Off.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »

I am on my third UM now and it is also sticking in the on position.
How much current are you connecting/interrupting? My guess is it's too much and arcing is damaging the contacts, causing them to stick together. If my guess is right, there's no mod that will make this safe and you need to find another way to accomplish this.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »

I am on my third UM now and it is also sticking in the on position.
How much current are you connecting/interrupting? My guess is it's too much and arcing is damaging the contacts, causing them to stick together. If my guess is right, there's no mod that will make this safe and you need to find another way to accomplish this.
I suppose you could use the UM506 to drive a relay, and use the relay to do the actual switching of the load.
I suppose you could do the same thing with an appliance module (use the switched 110V out of the appliance module to drive a relay. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that there is a way to make a momentary relay, perhaps using a capacitor and some resistors, that would not reset until the 110V is cut, so you could turn the Appliance Module on (which would trigger the momentary relay), and then turn it back off a minute later (or do it faster with a macro), to be ready for the next cycle.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:26:03 AM by Noam »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

What load you are switching?
Maybe you are exceeding the specifications as mentioned.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:26:52 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.