Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SC12A Giving False Alarms?  (Read 8926 times)

ncnoah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SC12A Giving False Alarms?
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:28:01 AM »

I've recently purchased this unit from you, it has had several false alarms.  Tonight (it's now 3:43am) it woke up my family at 3am going off 3+times and while trying to research info about it on your website (at 3:30am, yes now I can't sleep) it went off again (2 times in a row).  I now have the unit sitting with me, so I can attempt to see a number (I guess it will show a number on the bottom of display to identify where it is getting the signal) of the faulty signal.  I did not have these problems with my prior unit.
On the back of the unit it is described as Wireless Security System Console Model No. SC12A (I have seen some posts with questions about model numbers.....).
It just went off again (while I'm sitting with the unit) and no indication on the front panel.  I just changed the 4 AA batteries and the batt low indicator did not come on until I pulled the batteries from the unit and turned off when I replaced the batteries.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SC12A Giving False Alarms?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »

The SC12 is the model number on the unit. Most of the documentation refer to it as the SC1200. Maybe the SC1200 is what X10 called the whole kit.
When the alarm is triggered and then you use a remote to disarm it. The problem zone number should be showing on the LCD screen.
If you are using the keypad PIN to reset it. It maybe resetting the zone display. I have not check how it would react.

If you have the Chime Function enabled and you are not armed. Any zone opening should sound the chime and show a open zone message. That may give you a clue.

If the top cover part of the console is not closed tightly. It may trigger a Tamper Message and if armed at the time. Would also give a alarm with a tamper message on the LCD screen.

Have you ever gotten a error message where you could not arm the system? If a sensor doesn't check in periodically and flags an error. You would not be able to arm the system. I have not tried arming mine and then having a sensor not check in within the required time limit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:06:13 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »

Keep in mind, this is a user forum, and not a support forum with constant X10 monitoring and replies.
If you need tech support, your best bet would be to call or e-mail X10, or contact them on their Facebook page for help.
While some of us might be able to help, nearly all of us are volunteer users, and we do not work for X10.

bisceg

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »

I too have this problem with my console.  The cover is closed tightly. I think this a hardware error (the closing of the switch by the console's door).  Has anyone proven this?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »

bisceg;
Exactly what message is being shown?
Are you getting a Zone or Console Tamper, Zone Problem?
Different messages have different causes.

bisceg

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:36 AM »

Thanks for the response.

I think the message was:  alarm tamper. There was no zone associated with the message. And this alarm seems to only come at night (early morning hours).  

I will get the exact message next time. But there was no zone with the message. That is why i was thinking Console.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:08:44 AM by bisceg »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

I did a test with my SC1200 and one of my DS12A Door/Window Sensors.
Console not armed. Open cover "Tamper"
Console armed. Open Cover "Alarm Tamper" and an alarm is triggered.

Console not armed. Open the cover on DS12A. Console "Tamper Zone #"
Console armed. Open cover on DS12A. Console "Alarm Tamper" and an alarm is triggered.

So when armed both the Console Cover or the DS12A Cover diplay "Alarm Tamper" and trigger an alarm.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:57:32 AM by Brian H »

bisceg

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »

Hmmmm. So it could be either.  Thanks.  I guess I will have to test one at a time.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »

Well it is strange that it seems to happen mostly at night when it would usually be armed.
If you try maybe when not armed. Gently tapping the sensor and consoles covers. Maybe you can get some clues there.
One thing I did not try is Motion Sensors as I never installed mine.
May try one as a test.
Armed Home is supposed to ignore Motion Sensors but I am not sure if a Tamper would not still trigger that event.

Your setup is using the DS12A Door/Window and MS18A Motion Sensors?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

Tried a MS18A.
Console not armed. Gives a "Tamper Zone #".
Console armed. Gives an "Alarm Tamper".

bisceg

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Those are the door/window sensors. I am not sure about the motion sensor's model number but it came with the $150 dollar kit.  I think that is the one you are referencing.

I am leaning towards the console but i will post if I know for sure.

Just as a note, there were no false triggers last night. Before i set the alarm for the night i opened the console door, pressed the tamper switch a few times, and then made sure the panel closed. The panel seems to hold down the button well so if there is a problem in the switch area, i am going to look towards the switch itself first.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

Sounds like a good way to start.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.