Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Replacement for the CM15A?  (Read 13283 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Replacement for the CM15A?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

It appears they are merely using up all inventories of plastics and other components with no plans to continue any X10 protocol products once the inventories are exhausted (and no reason to placate irate customers).
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »

There will always be some sort of automation.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

I think the problem may have been that X10 often almost gave their products away.  In the past there were times when their appliance and dimmer modules were sold for less than it costs me for just an empty case.  Other companies offering similar devices - Leviton, SmartHome, and ACT - priced theirs significantly higher.  I know things are cheap to make in China, but you have to make enough on each sale to maintain a viable business.

It appears that their manufacturing facility no longer exists, and they are just selling left over inventory and products produced by other companies.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:44 PM »

Or X10 is getting a new factory in China and is not ready to announce it?   This sounds like a "wait and see" what happens.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »

Or X10 is getting a new factory in China and is not ready to announce it?

The good folks at Apple can't find enough suitable assemblers. I think if a new factory is built to assemble electronics... the stuff they make will cost more than X10 modules.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »

I suppose if the creditors/new owners  are in charge now... they would do everything in their power to get their money back/raise money to fund new initiatives.  Perhaps mandating conversion of unsold inventory into cash.  Directing the X10 to abandon unprofitable products and approving product directions that will take X10 out of the ditch.  I could see a strategy of eliminating discount sellers and letting the street price rise  (I see  cm15a ebay closing prices at above $100.  Boy did I wish I picked up spare items at the lower prices).  Finally restarting production on items that have viable  business case at the higher prices.
It appears they are merely using up all inventories of plastics and other components with no plans to continue any X10 protocol products once the inventories are exhausted (and no reason to placate irate customers).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:00:15 AM by pseeker »

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

I suppose if the creditors/new owners  are in charge now...

I am no expert on this subject but [IMHO] I would think if the courts were in charge.... there wouldn't be any new product lines or new direction. It would be a quick liquidation.

I think people forget that X10 (although they are an importer) is an American based (not China based) business. American businesses in general are struggling right now and have been for more than a few months.

We may or may not notice that our favorite brand of fence-stretcher is now only offered in one color. Or that box of candy we buy every Valentines Day had 3 less flavors this year. But times are tough out there... and they aren't getting better. Manufacturers and retailers close their doors everyday... and that is the way it has always been. But it has been that way more lately... than historically.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

I meant to say either 1. creditors or 2. new owners or existing owners that are changing direction.  Who knows which group. If its new owners/existing owners, they need to do business triage which includes raising cash to fund new projects.  If its creditors, then you can view/guess that its like the Greek Debt crisis and that additional lifeline loans will come with strings attached (viable business plan, reorganization, cost cutting, new person in charge) etc.  The good news is X10 is still in business and will hopefully remain so with recent changes
I suppose if the creditors/new owners  are in charge now...

I am no expert on this subject but [IMHO] I would think if the courts were in charge.... there wouldn't be any new product lines or new direction. It would be a quick liquidation.

I think people forget that X10 (although they are an importer) is an American based (not China based) business. American businesses in general are struggling right now and have been for more than a few months.

We may or may not notice that our favorite brand of fence-stretcher is now only offered in one color. Or that box of candy we buy every Valentines Day had 3 less flavors this year. But times are tough out there... and they aren't getting better. Manufacturers and retailers close their doors everyday... and that is the way it has always been. But it has been that way more lately... than historically.

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »

Since this thread has already gone way way off topic, I won't consider this as hijacking....  But it looks like X10 lost the president... so there is definitely some changes going on over there...

http://www.cepro.com/article/former_x10_president_gerald_rooks_joins_greenwave_reality/

Gerald Rooks has left X10 USA, where for 17 years he served various roles including president. He is probably best known for launching X10 Pro in the late 1990s to serve the channel with X10 products and services

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »

Since this thread has already gone way way off topic, I won't consider this as hijacking....  But it looks like X10 lost the president... so there is definitely some changes going on over there...

Gerald Rooks has left X10 USA, where for 17 years he served various roles including president. He is probably best known for launching X10 Pro in the late 1990s to serve the channel with X10 products and services

Gerald Rooks ran X10 Pro which was a very small portion of X10's US business.

This thread has outlived its usefulness.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »

Well, perhaps some real news directly from X10 would end all this speculation.

We know the supply of many of the X10 products has dried up in recent months.  Many people base their automation systems on the CM15A.  In recent months X10 has been substituting an “equivalent” which in fact was nothing like the real CM15A.  There have been rumors that the CM15A or a successor will be available again.  It would be nice to have a definitive statement directly from X10 regarding future availability of this core component of many X10 systems.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

I don't know about that! It isn't unusual for any thread to get sidetracked a tad. But since the use of the CM15A is essential to most serious X10 [home automation] users finding a replacement is important.

I don't know of anyone that feels the Cm15-K is desireable or even suitable. X10 needs to be open and honest with its current customer base... while it builds on that with new products. We really need to know the future of these products... and any guidance in finding replacements if needed would be helpful. We are all in this together.

+1 Jeff
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:07:02 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.