Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 electricity meter  (Read 13961 times)

gilboash

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 electricity meter
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »

Is it possible to embed power meter in the X10 products, so that appliance module can send kw/h measurements data along the power lines to the controller?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 electricity meter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »

You want to know the power being used by the device connected to the module and not the total power the home is using?
That would be a totally new device as none exists now. With the unknown status of X10 Inc. I doubt much new stuff is in the planing stages.

Some folks have used the TED5000 on an isolated branch line. As it interferes with X10 power line signals. It measures the total power used by the home.

If you where using Insteon. They do have a module called a IMeterSolo. It measures the power being used by the device connected to it and keeps a running total of used power. It can be interrogated to its present usage and total so far.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »

A long time ago, I read some plan on the interweb to convert a kill-a-watt into a tweet-a-watt.  Sounds similar to what your looking for.  Google is your friend.

P.S.  I removed your redundant post.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:45:57 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »

gilboash

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:38:42 AM »

http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

This is a really cool project, Thanks alot for this I will learn alot from this.
Although, my idea is to integrate my X10 solution and appliances with a power-meter, and this requires me to replace all the appliances with the improved wat-o-meter without controlling on/off.

I might consider integrating the Xbee's to the X10 appliance, but it seems uneasy since there is no power meter component in those appliances.

Thanks !

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »

http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

This is a really cool project, Thanks alot for this I will learn alot from this.
Although, my idea is to integrate my X10 solution and appliances with a power-meter, and this requires me to replace all the appliances with the improved wat-o-meter without controlling on/off.

I might consider integrating the Xbee's to the X10 appliance, but it seems uneasy since there is no power meter component in those appliances.

Thanks !
Why not plug the X10 module with the load on it INTO the usage meter?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:41:40 AM by Noam »

gilboash

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »

Interesting    :)
But I Think you've missed the idea... I want to avoid additional devices and technologies (transmitters and recievers connected to the socket, or to the PC USB), and avoid reliability of wireless connectivity. Instead, rely on X10 connectivity infastructures only !

My Idea was to use the X10 PLC messaging infrastructure, by sending X10-Protocol-messages that will contain the POWER CONSUMPTION data in it (I don't think it is standartised in X10, but there is always room for vendor-specific messaging purposes, or making use of un-used address in some way)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:06:24 PM »

Given that most of the X10 modules and switches are one-way (i.e. they do not transit to the powerline) I think your idea has no future. There's the added issue of limited room within most modules and switches for adding circuitry to measure power use plus transmit to the powerline and the added cost - my guess you'll need a few lifetimes to save enough electricity to pay for it all.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

Interesting    :)
 and avoid reliability of wireless connectivity. Instead, rely on X10 connectivity infastructures only !
Boomer,

The phrases "X10 powerline communications" and "reliable signalling" is ususlly not used in the same sentence without some serious qualifications. You have all sorts of X10 signal corruption potential in a typical home nowdays. Just search "noise" on this forum for evidence.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gilboash

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »

Im aware of both issues raised (component size for.additional logic, and x10 reliability issues)
But given existing PLC home infrastructure, it seems to me more.natural to use it than
adding an additional technology component.
I wonder if plc-bus has such abilities.

Thanks for all ur replies, although the idea doesnt have future youve gave me lots of
material to think of when developing new features to my recently published smart
home tool (GSH)

Gilboa
www.gilboash.co.cc

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »

Remember you are in Israel and X10 there is different than X10 in the United States and Canada, what you have (and are selling on your website (nicely done) won't work in Europe or  Israel .
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »

Remember you are in Israel and X10 there is different than X10 in the United States and Canada, what you have (and are selling on your website (nicely done) won't work in Europe or  Israel .
Dan  -
Software using the SDK doesn't care (or even know) if it is talking to a European or a US version of the CM15.

Yes, the hardware he is referring to is the European models distributed by Marmitek, but he does say that the US versions will work with the software the same way.

gilboash

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

Dan
First, Noam is right, in europe and israel we purchase marmitek 220v products, which, with the help of the AH sdk behave the same way as your US products. I have several US and european users which Confirmed it.

Second, just to clarify, Im not selling anything in my website... it is DIY and my SW is free of use, you are more than welcome to install it as well

Gilboa
www.gilboash.co.cc

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.