Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macro not being triggered by transceived signal  (Read 3605 times)

Wizzer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Macro not being triggered by transceived signal
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

I am running ActiveHome Pro version 3.318 with a CM15A interface. I am trying to run a macro when motion is detected by a MS13A motion detector. I am using an RR501 RF Transceiver to receive the RF signal from the MS13A. The Macro trigger and the MS13A are set to the same House/Unit code which is E15 and the RR501 is set to E1. ActiveHome is configured to transceive house codes C, D, E and M.

The macro runs fine from the computer and when the CM15A receives the RF signal from MS13A, but when the RR501 receives the RF signal it does not. Using the Activity Monitor I can see the following when the signal is received by the CM15A:

534    1/21/2012   5:10:41 PM   Receive RF    E15 On
535    1/21/2012    5:10:42 PM   Macro       C3 (Light)
536    1/21/2012    5:10:42 PM    Macro      C On (Light)
537    1/21/2012    5:10:42 PM    Receive                  E15 (Motion Test)
538    1/21/2012    5:10:44 PM    Macro       C3 (Light)
539    1/21/2012    5:10:44 PM    Macro       C Off (Light)

Here is what the Activity Monitor reports when the signal from the MS13A is received from the RR501:
548    1/21/2012    5:11:16 PM    Receive        E15 (Motion Test)

From what I can tell, ActiveHome is not receiving an “E15 on” command, just an “E15” from the transceived signal from the MS13A.

How can I make this work?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:11:26 PM by Wizzer »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Macro not being triggered by transceived signal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »

The CM15A acts as a RF transceiver also. So try it without the RR501.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Wizzer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

I'm using the RR501 to extend the RF coverage. The CM15A has extremely limited RF coverage.

NJSailor

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »

It is not clear from your log who sent the #548 command. Are you sure that your RR501 PLC commands are getting to your CM15A?

I would remove the house code E from the CM15A transceive list and figure out what is going on. If nothing is getting through, look for a phase crossing problem, signal suckers or noise between the RR501 and the CM15A circuits

You do not want to be transceiving house codes on the CM15A that are also used by other transceivers (TM751.RR501) as the PLC commands will be duplicated or collide.
I can understand needing to improve the range of the CM15A and there are several threads with mods to make the CM15A RF range better or even good (I have complete house coverage with an external antenna now.)

Graham

Wizzer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

Sorry for the confusion. I edited my original post to be clearer. The signal in log #548 came from the MS13A. Since my original post I have removed all the house codes from being transceived from the CM15A. The result is the same. No "Receive On" is being transmitted. I've tried the RR501 in different locations in the house being to try several that are on the same phase as the CM15A...no difference. I have filters on any suckers and all my other devices work fine.

I might end up moding my CM15A, but this configuration should work....Argh!

NJSailor

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »

I did some experimenting with a spare MS14A and RR501 on a HC that is not transceived.
By disconnecting my CM15A antenna and going to the far end of the house, I prevented it from hearing the RF.
The PLC log entries from the RR501 are the same as those when the CM15A does hear the RF, except. of course, when the CM15A sees the RF, there is an additional 'Receive RF entry'.
This means that you cannot use the AHP activity log to determine who is sending the PLC command

Assuming that you did not edit out a Receive RF command, it appears that your RR501 is sending the E15 shown in your log.

The RF signal from the MS13A contains the address and the function in one transmission (HC, UC, and ON) so this is not likely to be a problem
The question then becomes whether the RR501 is not sending the 'ON' following the HC,UC PLC transmission or whether it is sent and lost enroute. Because each address and command is sent twice, it seems unlikely to me that noise is only affecting the function code transmission and not the address, however, it is possible. An XTBM plugged in adjacent to the RR501 could help determine this.

If you have no means of seeing the PLC commands on the power line, I would place the RR501 close to the CM15A (ideally same circuit) and test it.
First, poll it using AHP and confirm that it responds.
Using AHP turn E1 on and off and listen for the relay.
If OK the PLC receive and send is probably OK

Try the MS13A on your E15 looking for the address and ON commands
Change the MS13A unit code and see if that affects anything. Try C11 (remember to change the HC of the RR501 too) as the unit code bits are complementary.
Try another RF transmitter if you have one.
If still missing the 'ON' command, then there is a problem in the RR501 RF processing.
If this all is OK, then you have the most common problem (but usually also the easiest to get around) with X10. Either noise or weak signal is preventing your CM15A from hearing the RR501 transmissions

As you say, it should work. If the RR501 is confirmed to be the problem and you are up to it, I would open it up and check the area of the PCB where the 20V Zener diode is located. This diode gets very hot and is a common failure point. Look for a big capacitor (2.2 μF 250V), a big resistor (22Ω red-red-black) and a 100 μH choke (Blue body - Brown-Black-Brown) and the Zener is located near the side of the PCB just south of the big capacitor.

Sorry for the confusion. I edited my original post to be clearer. The signal in log #548 came from the MS13A. Since my original post I have removed all the house codes from being transceived from the CM15A. The result is the same. No "Receive On" is being transmitted. I've tried the RR501 in different locations in the house being to try several that are on the same phase as the CM15A...no difference. I have filters on any suckers and all my other devices work fine.

I might end up moding my CM15A, but this configuration should work....Argh!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »

I would note that the RR501 (and the TM751) transceivers don't send RF signals, they receive RF signals and put them on the powerline.  I use 2 RR501s one in the Living Room and one in the Breakfast Room both get RF signals from a pair of Stick-a-Switches and put them on the powerline to turn lights on and off without opening AHP. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Wizzer

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »

I realized that I had to rule out some unknowns. I configured the MS13A to C3, the same code as the light in the macro and unplugged the RR501. I got close to the CM15A and activated the MS13A. The light turned on. This proved that the MS13A was sending the "C3 on" and that the CM15A was sending the "C3 on" on the powerline. I verified this in the activity log. I then plugged in the RR501 to a known clean plug and repeated the test close to the RR501. The light did not turn on. I'm satisfied that the RR501 is defective. I've ordered a replacement and I'll report back once I receive it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:13:01 AM »

Though it sounds like the RR501 maybe defective. It still can be a poor X10 power line signal from it to the CM15A.
Do you have any X10 filters on possible noise makers or signal suckers?
Any coupler or signal repeater between the phases?

Wizzer

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

I received my new RR501 and installed it. Everything worked as it should. Problem solved.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.