Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Floodcam Coverage Issue  (Read 9037 times)

Dimustrace

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Floodcam Coverage Issue
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »

Hey all.  I just installed a floodcam on the front of my garage in an attempt to monitor the driveway because I've had some issues with vandalism in the past.  The installation went well and I was able to receive the video on my TV in my garage mounted about 20 feet away.  Now the image cuts in and out and has several vertical lines (which is annoying) but I figure that I can mess with that later.  I've tried each of the frequency settings and nothing improves.  It might have something to do with the receiver behind behind the camera.  But, like I said, I can mess with that later.

My real concern is the camera coverage.  The camera is mounted on the center of my garage at about a height of 8 feet.  My driveway slopes down towards the road at about a 8-10% grade, so if anything, I would expect MORE coverage with a down-sloping driveway and a level garage.  However, my camera only sees about 5-10 feet in front of it (which is great if I want to know what my front license plate numbers are but not for anything else).  The plastic arm the camera is attached to slopes down and makes the camera point down at about a 20 degree angle (or so) and there is absolutely no way I can see to adjust it since there are no joints or hinges on it.  The only thing I CAN do is rotate it at the base and that just presents me with a non-level picture.

Anyone have any ideas how to tilt the camera up about 5-10 degrees so I can see my whole driveway?  I don't understand why the lights come with adjustable joints but the camera doesn't.  That seems like a huge oversight to me.  I'll take any tips on the image issue too if anyone has any suggestions.  I'm attaching a picture taken from my driveway (only one I had on hand).  Although you can't see my garage, you can see my neighbor's garage and my driveway/garage is exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Floodcam Coverage Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »

The ball joint on the camera housing does not give you enough movement? If you rotate the camera-spotlight mounting plate 180 degrees, does that give you more downward angle? Otherwise, I think it is what it is. So you would have to make a "collar" to fit between the camera and the wall box to give you the increased angle.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dimustrace

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »

Unlike the picture you see when you look at the floodcam here on the site, mine does not have a ball or a joint.  Mine has a plastic extension coming out of the center collar that forces the camera to point down once it's connected.  What I WANTED was what is in the picture for the floodcam, however it's not what I RECEIVED.  I'm not sure if it was an engineering change or what.  The line art below (awesome, btw, lol) is my best approximation with the whole thing sloping downwards.  I can't take a pic here at work, but I think you get the idea.

I----
       ---x

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

I don't have any experience with the Floodcam, but from the pictures on the website, and the PDF instructions,  (and I know you said what you got doesn't match the picture 100%), it looks like the camera connects to the center hole of the plate, and the lights connect to the two side holes. If that's the same thing you have, you might be able to find an adjustable "knuckle" at Home Depot or Lowes (or whatever hardware store you have near you) to put in between the camera and the plate, and make it adjustable.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »

Mine has a plastic extension coming out of the center collar that forces the camera to point down once it's connected.  What I WANTED was what is in the picture for the floodcam, however it's not what I RECEIVED. 
Well it sounds like once again X10 has tried to "cost reduce" the product to save a penny and have shot themselves in the foot again.

Dimustrace

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »

Excellent suggestion Noam.  I'll go take a look and see if they make a joint that can go between the box and the collar.  It'll have to wait for the weekend to look into it however.  This will be do or die.  If I don't find something acceptable I doubt that I'll buy another X10 product.  I purchased an IconRemote a few months ago and love it, so I figured I'd take a chance on this.  I am soooo glad I was cautious.  I almost went crazy and purchased a security system and 4 camera surveillance system in my order.  However,  I haven't fully exhausted my options, so I'm not ready to totally blame X10 until I've done so.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »

Dimustrace

You mean you have to go to your garage to see what is happening in your driveway? And no picture at night.  If I have a surveillance camera, then I want to see the video where I am. At least on the family room TV. Are you having range problem? X10 is promoting new IP outdoor cameras. Which are basically Foscam. They are good and have no range problem and have IR lights very good picture and you can see it on smart phone or PC.

http://www.foscam.us

dougembrey

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

I purchased an X10 Airsight IP camera to cover my 3 car garage where I park a travel trailer and 2 smaller vehicles. I mounted the camera in the center of my garage peak about 9ft high from the drive and about 10 feet from the front of my vehicles. All I can see is about the width of one of my vehicles. The lens was touted to be 60 degree angle. The angle only gets to 60degrees about 80 feet from the camera lens which is across the street. The camera only has 30 feet of night vision.
How do I get to view my entire drive and all 3 vehicles? I tried the camera 30 feet from the side of the drive and the sides of my vehicles and only got about 1.5 vehicles. I thought I could see the whole drive. Will I have to return the camera?
One other purchaser stated they are advertizing the lens as 60degree and shipping 42degree cameras. Please advise. Doug

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »

Will I have to return the camera?
One other purchaser stated they are advertizing the lens as 60degree and shipping 42degree cameras. Please advise. Doug
Doug, This is a users group, not X10.  Unfortunatley X10 rarely acknowledges anyones post. You will probably need to call X10 Customer Service. I think you can answer your own question after calling X10 about the inaccurate advertising. Sorry.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

If they sent you the wrong product, and they won't do anything to correct it (like send you out the correct one at no cost to you or refund your money, then I suggest getting your credit card company involved ASAP. Others here have reported some pretty horrible results getting refunds or exchanges done, but at least one user reported that his credit card company was able to get the issue resolved for him rather quickly.

dougembrey

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »

What I thought I was asking is how I can get a 3 cars parked parallel in one view where the drive is 30 x 30ft sitting on a 60 x 120 lot. I thought some of you might be using the Airsight cameras to view your residences and have the same problem that they worked out. In view of the difficulties in dealing with trying to contact them I thought the users group would be quicker and more helpful......guess I don't know what a users group does, so I apologize for  bothering your group that does whatever it is you do.
Doug

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »

What I thought I was asking is how I can get a 3 cars parked parallel in one view where the drive is 30 x 30ft sitting on a 60 x 120 lot. I thought some of you might be using the Airsight cameras to view your residences and have the same problem that they worked out. In view of the difficulties in dealing with trying to contact them I thought the users group would be quicker and more helpful......guess I don't know what a users group does, so I apologize for  bothering your group that does whatever it is you do.
Doug

Yeah, well maybe someone has the same problem, but if so they haven't responded. Your infomation about the lens not being what was advertised and question about returning the camera didn't indicate you were looking for a workaround. But I don't know what sort of a work around there could be other than repositioning the camera. I don't think the lens is changable. You might search "Foscam", or "Aepxis" on Google since several users have indicated it appears to be a Foscam, or Apexis clone. Perhaps there is are  users groups out there for them. Just because we are a users group doesn't mean we have solutions to all X10 problems. Especially for new third party equipment that X10 is marketing, and for users who do not think the product measure up to X10s advertising....a very common complaint that doesn't have a clear solution other than you making an effort to contact X10.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:21:40 PM by dave w »

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »

Doug

Try positioning diagonally in your garage. Like mounting in a corner about 7-8 ft up.

IPS

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.