Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Smart meter problem solved  (Read 67048 times)

lkrause0

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Smart meter problem solved
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »

I have just had a smart meter installed by Duke in the Cincinnati Area. Have issues with units turning on a t radem. What is the fix?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »

What switch or device models are affected?

The problem appears to be only with certain X10 made switches which have a lengthy history of similar problems predating Smartmeters.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:08 PM »

I have just had a smart meter installed by Duke in the Cincinnati Area. Have issues with units turning on at random. What is the fix?

We developed a smart meter rejection kit that is described earlier in this thread.  It is comprised of 4 special low-frequency clamp-on "clampshell" ferrite filters that go over the hot service entrance cables, and a low impedance shunt that connects directly across a 240V breaker to attenuate the residual signal that leaks through the ferrite filters.

This information was provided to Duke, but they apparently weren't interested.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »

Also, Duke will let you opt out of the Smartmeter. I think all those sharing the transformer have to agree.

Where, in the Cincinnati area, are you located? I am in Fort Mitchell, where Duke tested these meters about 5 years ago before deploying them in the rest of the area and I've had no problems - but I also have no X10 switches.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »

I scheduled an appointment for first thing next Monday morning, which will give me an opportunity to test my X10 system right away after the meter is installed (before the installer leaves). If something doesn't work, I'll ask the installer to put the old meter back.
Well, my plan didn't quite work out as I had hoped. Due to last weekend's storm, and my inept power company (Pepco), I didn't have any power on Monday morning (we were out from Friday night until Wednesday morning - 104 hours total).
So, I rescheduled for this coming Monday morning. I'll report back as soon as I can test it, with the model information and my results.
I just realized I never came back to this thread to report on what happened.
Pepco did indeed install a Landis+Gyr Focus AXR meter, and I haven't had any issues with it at all.
I don't think they have turned on all of the remote monitoring on it yet, but from what I've read - none of that goes over the powerline, so it isn't supposed to affect my X10.

lkrause0

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

Problem seems to be very randem, Using wall type X10 switches and plug in lighting units. At radem times they turn on and all you need to do is to turn them off with the remote. There is one that won't even turn off. What is the diagram of the filter that was mentioned above?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »

What is the diagram of the filter that was mentioned above?

It is described in my first post on page 1 of this thread.

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »

A X10 and Insteon user is reporting a Duke Smart Meter effecting both X10 and Insteon modules.
http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=13104#69474

Do you know how the Insteons 131.65 KHz power line signals will be effected, with the kit?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:39:26 AM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

Do you know how the Insteons 131.65 KHz power line signals will be effected, with the kit?

The ferrite filters will be slightly more effective at the higher frequency.  The XPNR straddles the 240V to attenuate the signal that leaks through the ferrite filters.  The XPNR is a bandpass filter that peaks at 120KHz, and provides attenuation as the frequency moves away from 120KHz.  Since it is straddling the 240V, it should have little effect on the 131KHz, which is referenced to neutral.  Depending on how sharp that 120KHz bandpass is, it might even begin to work as a passive coupler at the Insteon frequency.  The custom filter that I offer as an alternative to the XPNR would be a very good passive coupler for the Insteon signal.

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »

Thank you for the information.

Garybuy

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »

Jeff

I live in Cincinnati and have this problem with a Duke Smartmeter. Can you help me?

Thanks
Gary

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

I live in Cincinnati and have this problem with a Duke Smartmeter. Can you help me?

(I responded to his email.)

Jeff

Garybuy

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:23 PM »

I installed the ferrite filters on the main lines and had great success.  Now I have a new problem.  I just had my furnace/AC units replaced.  Looks like I have the same issue with some of my X10 modules while the AC is running.  How can I fix this problem?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »

I just had my furnace/AC units replaced.  Looks like I have the same issue with some of my X10 modules while the AC is running.  How can I fix this problem?

Some of the newer HVAC systems have variable speed blowers that inject noise onto the powerline.  The solution for several people who experienced this problem was to isolate the furnace circuit (not the 240V compressors) with a 20A X10 XPF in-line filter.

Jeff

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

I tried installing a pair of 20A filters on the mains going to the HVAC and it did not help.  I planned at one point to replace that with a single XPF at the circuit board power.  In the end, I don't have it filtered at all since fixing everything else made enough improvements that the HVAC was no longer required.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.