Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM19A transceiver  (Read 4887 times)

Ivy-Cat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM19A transceiver
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »

The CM19A arrived today.  The Firecracker software was already installed and an unregistered version of ActiveHome Pro.  Plugged the CM19A into computer, the TM751 to an outlet, and a AM486 set to unit 2.  Opened the firecracker program.  The PalmPad Module comes on screen.  Checking setup it shows currently using USB.  Click "on" and light on palmpad blinked but nothing came on.  The 751 should have.  Click "on" No.2 for the 486 to turn on and nothing.
Question on the CM19A:  Looks like there is a pilot light on the CM19A.  Should this be on at any time or maybe blink when a command goes to it???  If yes, it does not ever light up.  Bad unit??
So I tried the Active Home Pro software.  Not registered.  With a TM751 module on screen and turn it "on", nothing happens.  If I check the activity monitor it shows "recv RF  A1 on".  That makes me think the CM19A is working.  So why don't these two modules turn on???

I.C.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM19A transceiver
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

I just tested my CM19A with the latest AHP and the latest Firecracker software.
The Red LED is Off until it is sending some RF data. Then it flickers On.
Both AHP and PalmPad in Firecracker sent an A4, AOn to my SC1200 that is transceiving House Code A.
If your red LED is not flickering something is wrong.

Ivy-Cat

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

If your red LED is not flickering something is wrong.
The CM19A has "decided" to start blinking the led.(talk about unreliable equipement)
The only way to get the TM751 to work is to have the CM19A within 3 inches of it.  Then it switches most of the time.  Not always. ?????
I.C.

Digs

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »

I have recently had the same experience.  Literally 3 inches was all that worked.  Since then I have have since tried 3 different CM19a (have a 4th on the way) and 2 different TM751s.  I agree, very unreliable equipment.

Here is what I have done to come up with an x10 basic install that is (mostly working).

- move a separate PC out into the garage away from my other electronics that x10 said were likely the issue
- tried varying combinations of cm19a's and tm751's until I could get something that most worked.
- extended the cm19a antenna with extra wire (suggested by x10.com) - anyone know of any better mods for this?
- extended the cm19a with first 8ft usb extension an then 18 foot.
- extended a ds10a mag switch wire to within feet of the cm19a, but it still doesn't sense reliably.
- spent about 30 hours getting a basic install up that x10 assured me was 'plug and play' - I never bought that to begin with, but it's been a bit crazy.

Seems a bit like now that the CM15A's are gone new x10 installs are very hit and miss.  Considering boxing it all up and sending it back, but now I'm a bit hooked.  Never could walk away from a puzzle.  I think that might be in x10.com's marketing plan?

But seriously, if they want this any furture repeat customers they are going to have to come up with a better option than the Cm19a.  Even a cheap direct to PLC usb interace, that at least worked.  Or better repeaters?  Something!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:24:36 AM by Digs »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »

Computer power supplies are common problems. They make power line noise or absorb X10 signals.
We recommend a X10 type filter for a typical installation.

Most installations have to use a coupler or power line signal repeater between the two Line Feeds from the power company. As X10 power line signals have a hard time getting from one line to the other. Causing the half my home does not work problems.

Many electronic devices make power line noise or absorb X10 signals. Some X10 filters are sometimes needed for problem devices.

As for the CM15K {CM19A/TM751} combination. It is not a good replacement for the real CM15A that we hear rumors may eventually come back.

You may want to look at some X10 troubleshooting information.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:48:34 AM by Brian H »

Digs

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »

Thanks Brian.  Great links.  I'll deep dive when I can allocate more time.  

Seems to me x10 may require 'retirement project' dedication, and with 1 young one and 1 on the way, I may have to postpone becoming an expert for now.  Ironically I was looking to x10 to automate a few things around the home to free up some time for the new arrival.  Instead it has provided me with a very intriguing, but unexpectedly time consuming new hobby! ;)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

As for the CM15K {CM19A/TM751} combination. It is not a good replacement for the real CM15A that we hear rumors may eventually come back.

RUMOR?????  Where did you hear this rumor?!?!?!  I would love to get ahold of another CM15A for backup, but will NOT pay the ridiculous price that people are charging now!  Also, new style wall switches/lamp modules!  I have a few spares, BUT.......

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »

I believe it was reported as from the X10 Facebook Pages. Swore not discontinued but just out of stock.
They said the samething about the LM15A Socket Rocket and SC1200 Security Console. Both are now back in stock.
So I guess we just sit tight and hope it may happen.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »

I believe it was reported as from the X10 Facebook Pages. Swore not discontinued but just out of stock.
They said the samething about the LM15A Socket Rocket and SC1200 Security Console. Both are now back in stock.
So I guess we just sit tight and hope it may happen.

Since X10 brought both the  LM15A Socket Rocket and SC1200 Security Console back it's a pretty good bet the CM15A will come back too, possibly a revised and better one.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »

HHmmmm!!!!
  Well I wouldn't count on a BETTER one (although it would be nice!  more memory, faster processor, better PLC drive), but I will keep my eyes open!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.