Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple, Inexpensive OmniPro ii IR Transmitter Solution?  (Read 1616 times)

MisterPJ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simple, Inexpensive OmniPro ii IR Transmitter Solution?
« on: December 26, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »

I have an OmniPro ii controller and wish to add a simple, relatively inexpensive IR Transmitter to my system to allow for such simple tasks as setting up scenes such as "Morning Wake Up" that would turn on the (IR-controlled) FM receiver or "Movie Night" which closes the drapes, dims lights and then activates the (IR-controlled) DVD player and TV.  I have looked everywhere, reviewed this forum, Googled, called multiple vendors and no one has a "simple" / "elegant" solution. Most require buying another piece of hardware, or using some obscure programming language (I am an "old dog" and learning new tricks is getting harder...), then adding some form of "learning IR" transmitter after this proposed new piece of hardware.  Also, some of the more popular / older solutions are no longer made and certainly no longer supported. Can anyone assist me here? Thank you in advance. Philip

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Simple, Inexpensive OmniPro ii IR Transmitter Solution?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »

I suspect I'm an even older dog and I know a bit less than zero about the capabilities of the Omni Pro II but I might be aware of an elegant solution. It does require a piece of hardware (WeMos D1 mini) which costs $4-5 plus a 5V power supply (via USB or separate power supply) plus an add-on "shield' to connect with an IR emitter.

First: Is there an Omni Pro II forum? If so, your question might be better asked there.
Second: How can the Omni Pro II communicate?
Third: What programming language(s), if any, are you acquainted with?

There is an Arduino library (C code) for sending IR with an ESP8266  (WeMos D1 mini is ESP8266 based.) which has also been adapted for Basic4Arduino. The WeMos D1 mini (supported by the Arduino IDE) can handle WiFi, USB and serial connections.

In this case, it might be the Omni Pro II that's the old dog incapable of learning new tricks - it needs to be able to communicate with the WeMos D1 mini.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:54:14 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Simple, Inexpensive OmniPro ii IR Transmitter Solution?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »

Logitech-Harmony IR device. <link

With the use of an IR543(?) it can send the X10 IR code to trigger X10 device/macros

AND.... as a bonus... it works with the new Amazon echo with voice control (and much more).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.