Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Original Airpad 7 and IceCreamSandwich  (Read 55143 times)

ntx10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Original Airpad 7 and IceCreamSandwich
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »

Hey X10 Repair Depot... any word on ICS for the original 7?  I've only bought two items from X10 and have not had a good experience with either one.  When I purchased the original 7 ICS was on the way they inferred... so I'm checking in.

For my 199 I spent, I could have gotten a Kindle, Acer Iconia or saved some money and bought the 7P.  Didn't realize I was a beta tester at the time.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:06:17 AM »

NTX10,

The factory is telling me that they are continuing to work on ICS. As I posted earlier, there is a lot of work needed to get this completed and it is not done yet.

The 7 has a stable GB OS, so i'm not sure what you are referring to with the beta tester comment.

ntx10

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »

So if ICS never gets released for the original 7 do we all get a refund?   GB is fairly stable on the original 7, however mine has been shutting off when in standby.  I've had one charger go bad, luckily within the 90 days since the one I have now has to be set just right to charge.

How I feel for buying product #2 from x10.. should have stopped after the first one. B:(

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

NTX10,

The 7 has a stable GB OS, so i'm not sure what you are referring to with the beta tester comment.

Gingerbread is stable on the Original Airpad 7 the same way a newborn colt is stable on its four legs. Sure, it can stand up and maybe take a few steps, but eventually it's going to crash.

Random restarts/power offs. "Insufficient Space" error messages when updating apps (despite having plenty of free space). Piss-poor battery management. App incompatibilities. Occasional severe lag in the touchscreen. Severe overheating. Frequent "Process Has Stopped Responding" messages.

Granted, some of those probably have more to do with poor hardware design than the OS, but surely some of that can be resolved with software fixes if ICS is adapted to the tablet correctly.

At this point, I really don't expect a version of ICS. Why bother from the manufacturer's perspective? There will be a day soon when I raise a lot of hell (demands to "customer service" for a refund, contacting the BBB with screencaps of their posts promising ICS before I bought it, etc.) Honestly, not having ICS isn't a HUGE deal to me, but a company promising something and not delivering on it is. You have a responsibility to make good on what you say.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:00:13 PM by DemDave »

cjhallx

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • Over 35 years experience from PCs to mainframes
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »

I just looked at the Shenzhen Zizpo website and they have no downloads available for any of their tablets. Nada, zilch, zizpo! (pun intended)
I have an AIRPAD X which is a re-badge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91 and an AIRPAD XL which is a re-badge of the PLOYER MOMO15

If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »

At least X10 Repair Depot is in communication with factory with possible upgrade most low end tablets are abandoned to focus on newer models. Couple of links to monitor "activity"

1. Shenzhen Lanyu Electronics Co the manufacturer.  Their English links are now broken... putting the site through google translate the LANYU 910 no longer appears on product listing. (Still there click herehttp://www.sz-lanyu.com

2. There isn't much activity on slatedroid. There was one main developer looking at the code but now all is quiet.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/22147-lanyu-910-x10-airpad/

Lots has changed from fourth quarter 2011.    The Allwinner A10/A13 chipset is dominating entry level "no name" tablets from China.   I see more 7" Allwinner A10/A13 tablets with capacitive screens breaking the $100 threshold.  As a results there is movement towards dual core with better than the 800*480 screen resolutions in order to climb up the food chain.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:31:02 PM by pseeker »

kidgadget

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »

Any news at all concerning ICS for the original Airpad? As most early adopters the upgrade capacity was the first reason I bought it, so I am looking forward for ICS on my original 7 inch Airpad.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

Any news at all concerning ICS for the original Airpad? As most early adopters the upgrade capacity was the first reason I bought it, so I am looking forward for ICS on my original 7 inch Airpad.

I have not had any communication with the manufacturer for a few weeks. I will follow up with them tomorrow and I will post when I hear back.

kidgadget

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:45 PM »

Hi X10 Repair Depot, Thanks for keeping up posted on ICS for the original Airpad.

DemDave

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

I have not had any communication with the manufacturer for a few weeks. I will follow up with them tomorrow and I will post when I hear back.

Thank you for doing your best to keep us informed.

Do you happen to know what X10's plan will be if it's determined there will be no Ice Cream Sandwich update? You've following the forums and you know that some of us are still waiting patiently. Would you be willing to go to bat for us with the higher ups? My fear is that X10 can avoid ever having to arbitrate this issue because they can always just say they're waiting on the manufacturer. That could go on indefinitely until those of waiting finally just give up and move on, ending the problem from X10's end.

X10 promised an update. If it's really on its way, then great. If not, then X10 has a responsibility to make it right with their customers. Offering refunds, discounts on new full-featured tablets -- anything would be a step in the right direction and would help redeem X10's reputation in my eyes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:39:17 PM by DemDave »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »

The tablet's manufacturer is still waiting for work to be done by the company who supplied the motherboard. There is no ETA, but it is still being worked on.  As I mentioned on a thread previously, upgrading to ICS is a very difficult process and it does take time. We will release it when it is ready.

Do keep in mind that the version that is released will not support Google Play / Market per Google's licensing agreement.

nobugme

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »

I hope you mean that Google Play will not be installed "out of box" but anyone will be able to install it manually ::)

...still waiting for ICS... >*<

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

Any word on this? I just purchased this, thinking that I would have full access

DemDave

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »

I just gave mine to my nephew to play games on and reserved a Nexus 7, which isn't exactly ideal either (no SD card slot, etc), but at least it'll have the backing of a real company.

Worst $200 I've ever spent. Lesson learned.

Still kind of feel like I was lied to about this Ice Cream Sandwich update, but I'm so disgusted with this thing that I'm not sure I care any more. 

ReignMan

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

Like many others that have posted here (and probably many who haven't) I am eager to see an ICS upgrade for the original Airpad 7. I have been following this thread for many months and, although 'X10 Repair Depot' has tried to keep us informed, the posts seemed to have stopped over the last couple of months.

Yes, gingerbread is 99% stable on the OA7 but the early adopters were promised upgrades when we purchased our devices. It has been highlighted before by others in this thread, but please can you keep to your promise and provide the services as advertised.

We fully understand that you have a dependancy on the manufacturer but at least provide us with an update in this thread on a regular basis (twice a month?) to keep us informed. Even if it's a quick note to say 'We've not forgotten you but there is no progress yet!'

I am a long time X10 customer and always recommend your automation products to friends and family. Please don't allow this minor issue to diminish my respect for your excellent company, products and services.

Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.