Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 newbie question  (Read 2828 times)

suncitygeek

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 newbie question
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »

Complete newbie on X10 products. Is it possible to replace a standard wall light switch with a X10 switch so when you turn the light on, it send a signal to a x10 receptacle that turns on a motor?

Background. In my house I have a pump in the garage that pushes hot water through the pipe. So what I want to do is turn on the bathroom light and have the pump in the garage turn on too.
Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: x10 newbie question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »

X10s present wall switches don't send a power line signal when locally toggled.
Some of the Smarthome X10 line of switches can send a signal back on the power lines.
They need a neutral power connection not found in all switch boxes.
The X10 controlled outlet would need to be on the same X10 address for direct control or the switch could send a command to trigger a macro in Active Home Pro.

If the pump and the bathroom circuits are on opposite phases of the house. There could be a signal probelm between them. That would require some troubleshooting or added parts. Like a phase coupler or repeater.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:37:45 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »

You might be able to do something similar, using a motion sensor in the bathroom.
Some (not all) of the X10 motion sensors have a "+1" code that is based on the Dusk/Dawn sensor in the unit. You could use that in the bathroom to detect the light turning on, and then trigger a macro that would turn the pump on or off based on that.
However, I still think that using a SmartHome switch (one that transmits it's code when it is turned on manually) is a better way to go.

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

Complete newbie on X10 products. Is it possible to replace a standard wall light switch with a X10 switch so when you turn the light on, it send a signal to a x10 receptacle that turns on a motor?

Background. In my house I have a pump in the garage that pushes hot water through the pipe. So what I want to do is turn on the bathroom light and have the pump in the garage turn on too.
Thanks

Look at some of the Insteon x10 compatible switches they send local status info.  This will allow you to have the switch turn on the pump and turn off the pump as well.  Take a look at smarthome.com

>! Ken

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.