Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading USB thumb drive  (Read 4712 times)

ether

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Reading USB thumb drive
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

How do you read from and write to a USB thumb drive plugged into the USB port?

Where do I find some meaningful instructions? I downloaded the X10 AIRPAD Owner's Manual. It is very lacking. Every time I try to use something from the applications page there are symbols across the top of the page. I do not have any idea of what each one means, what actions each one initiates, etc.  It is very tiring to spend 30 minutes trying to get something to work.
I am not a newbie to computers but am to the software that is running on this tablet.

Please help.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Reading USB thumb drive
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »

ether,

The symbol for the USB port is below:

If you select this symbol, you will be able to see your USB drive.

However, you would be better off installing Astro File Manger. It is free and is much easier to use than the stock Android file manager.

ether

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

Thanks.

I do not have this symbol displayed as well as another that the manual says to use for another function.
I will download the app. I guess it is in the app store.

Where can I find info on the Android symbols? I tried a search and only found advertisements.
Where can I find some in-depth info on using the x10? I start using a function/app and then it goes to an operation I do not want and it is like pulling teeth to get back to where I was. As an example: the four squares on the home page ment to take me to the apps. It worked fine for a while then it would only take me to where I had to select one of three options. It would only go to this no matter what other things I did. Cycled power on and off after several operations and this problem persisted.

ALSO. Battery is dead every time it is idle over night. I turn the Wi-fi off before pushing the off button. Do not know what else to do to prevent the battery from
draining.

Thanks again.

LazerFlash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »

ALSO. Battery is dead every time it is idle over night. I turn the Wi-fi off before pushing the off button. Do not know what else to do to prevent the battery from draining.

I have found that Sleep Modes in general, (including those on many laptops), aren't really the best mechanism to extend battery life overnight. Sleep Modes are really only intended for short-term power saving. (This is even true on your desktop. If you have one, plug your main CPU unit into one of those Kill-A-Watt or similar gizmos and you'll be amazed at how much juice your desktop still uses when asleep.)

Anyway, others here might have other suggestions, but I would propose that you just power your AirPad off when you go to bed. The time lag on a cold boot isn't all that bad in comparison to coming out of Sleep Mode. I have read somewhere that you can also leave your AirPad plugged in over night. I'm a bit leery of this, having had varying success with other battery-powered devices over the years.

ether

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »

Thanks LazerFlash.

Talon Starblade

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »

I haven't had a problem with this I just use the File manage that comes stock with the Airpad. When the app goes active, you'll see slots for the internal memory, SD card, and in you have a Thumbdrive plugged in, you'll see "USB sda." Using a port expander, you can get sda, sdb, sdc, etc. You just navigate through the like normal.

ether

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »

Thank you Talon Starblade.

Apparently something is seriously wrong with my tablet. It is the X10 but I have not seen any of the symbols/apps you are talking about. I plugged in the thumb drive and the tablet would not see it. I looked for a file manager, no luck. Bought Kindel and tried to look at it with Kindel and no luck. Bought a highly rated file manager app and it would not see it. No, I am not a klutz. I have been working with computers since 1967 when we had core memory. I have not kept up with the latest software or android phones but I have enough experience with computers to usually figure things out.

I am thinking that something is missing from my OS.

Any thought in this area?

Thanks

gjf

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »

ether,

After you press the four squares on the home page it should brings you to multiple pages that are accessible by swiping left or right.
There is usually a status marker of say 5 dashes or dots on the screen, highlighted is the screen your on.
The usb drive will only show up under a file management program ie  File Browser, File Manager.
I am also new to android but use to repair core memory, and mini and mainframes.

GJF

ether

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

Thank you gif.

This tablet does not display symbols you and others seem to take for granted. But by following your info I was able to read the thumb drive under OI File manager, sda or sda1. I am able to read some files with Kindel, and others with what I guess is this file program. Majority of files tell me I do not have an application to read them. They were created in Word or are a PDF file.

Dear Mr. X10 Repair Depot:

This is ridiculous because there is either a dirth of info on how to use this thing or no one including X10 support personnel will direct me to some information on how to use it.

1. Is there any information out there that will identify the symbols used on the Airpad tablet and their meaning and or purpose?

2. Is there any information on how to navigate the menus and pages?

3. Will you please reply and direct me to this documentation?

Thank you.

gjf

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

ether,

Glad you were able to get somewhere. As far as Doc and Pdf you can download acrobat reader (free) from Amazon Market.
Also you can get OfficeSuite viewer for free, to view documents.
You can buy Officesuite Pro 5 to create and view documents.
There are other apps but these seem to suffice.

GJF

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »

Thank you gif.

This tablet does not display symbols you and others seem to take for granted. But by following your info I was able to read the thumb drive under OI File manager, sda or sda1. I am able to read some files with Kindel, and others with what I guess is this file program. Majority of files tell me I do not have an application to read them. They were created in Word or are a PDF file.

Dear Mr. X10 Repair Depot:

This is ridiculous because there is either a dirth of info on how to use this thing or no one including X10 support personnel will direct me to some information on how to use it.

1. Is there any information out there that will identify the symbols used on the Airpad tablet and their meaning and or purpose?

2. Is there any information on how to navigate the menus and pages?

3. Will you please reply and direct me to this documentation?

Thank you.

Ether,

All of your concerns are related to the Android operating system, not the tablet. Here is a link to the users guide for your operating system:

http://www.google.com/help/hc/pdfs/mobile/AndroidUsersGuide-2.3.4.pdf

If you believe that something is missing from your unit, you can reset the operating system back to its initial configuration by selecting settings, then privacy, then do a factory data reset. Be sure to back up all apps and data, because everything will be erased.

ether

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »

Thank you X10 Repair Depot.

I will print this out and hopefully learn how to backup what I have in the tablet.
Quite a learning experience but believe it will be worth it. :-)

Ether

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.