Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie with an App question, Thoughts?  (Read 6073 times)

BryGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie with an App question, Thoughts?
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

Hi all, first time poster.
I've just purchased my first x10 products and have a few (likely stupid) questions.

7 3-pin Appliance Module (AM466)   
1 PC Transceiver RF Transceiver (CM15K)   
2 Lamp Module (LM465)   
2 Slimline Wireless Wall Switch (SS13A)   
1 ActiveHome Professional Software (SW31A)   
1 myHouse Online Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW34A)   
1 X10 ActivePhone (SW44A)   

This is all for my 1 BR apt. (overkill?)
What I would like to do is mount a 7" Android Tablet on the wall and have it be the main control for the apartment.
I am a Graphic Designer, and would love to be able to essentially create a basic blueprint of the apt and tap the corresponding location to turn them on/off.
Is this at all close to possible with any existing app/plugin/software?
If not, what would you recommend to be the best Android app?
Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Newbie with an App question, Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

Currently there is no means for an android app to talk directly to X10 equipment.
There are several that will communicate wireless to a PC connected to a x10 interface.
Many are free or are a low cost.
I like the one I created  rofl
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

fubaya

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

It looks like myHouse Online only works with Internet Explorer? I would look for something to control it with simple http commands, which I assume exists for Windows (I use Linux and ssh). If it doesn't, then nevermind, but assuming it does you could use Tasker on Android to control everything with http requests. Tasker has a "scene" feature which can display a custom layout of commands complete with images, text, and a bunch of other things, and they can be changed on the fly.

You could make one full screen, add a large image that is a map of the apartment, then create transparent squares over each room which will perform the http command when tapped and change the color or transparency of the square to indicate on/off. That would look cool. I have a simple one but it makes me want to make a map of the house like this now.

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:21 AM »

Bryguy,

As mentioned - there is a lack of android HA software, most are "add on's" to windows based programs.
You might want to consider a windows based tablet running one a windows based software.

I am running Myservant on a laptop with a wireless connection to a tablet.
This works well and provides a good touch screen interface.

I created a floor plan and added each device onto the floor plan & this going on the main touch screen.
then you can control them by touch.

BryGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

Thanks for all the info, guys.
I should have mentioned that I have the CM19A connected to a 24/7 PC, so I'm planning on incorporating that relay.
After more research, I've found this guy doing essentially exactly what I want to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXyzm61_eZE
So I'm looking into OpenRemote, but I will def also look into MyServant and apparently you are a legend around here, Tuicemen, so you have my full attention.
Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »

apparently you are a legend around here, Tuicemen, so you have my full attention.
Thanks!
:-[ not sure about that but thanks.
You may wish to look at iHouse as well as it will allow you to use a drawing of each room and place devices as well.
You can access it via wifi with a droid as I've done this using TAC to get voice confirmation of a device activation.
PCC has this option too but the floor plan isn't accesssable with a droid.
However that may change with TAC now in the mix. rofl
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »

What I would like to do is mount a 7" Android Tablet on the wall and have it be the main control for the apartment.
I am a Graphic Designer, and would love to be able to essentially create a basic blueprint of the apt and tap the corresponding location to turn them on/off.
Is this at all close to possible with any existing app/plugin/software?
If not, what would you recommend to be the best Android app?
Thanks

BryGuy,

Take a look at Open Source Automation (OSA).  Though I have not done what you are asking with a tablet, I have done it on another PC through the OSA web interface.  I have a floor plan of my house set up with images that I can click on for things to turn them on and off.

Basically for the lights, fans and other things, you have 2 images showing the state of the device.  One showing the off state and one showing the on state.  The nice thing is that you can use animated gif images for things to give it a nicer look.  So for my ceiling fans, I have a plain image of the fan for the off state, but when it is on, the image is an animated gif of the fan spinning.  You can go as simple or complex as you want with it too.  Say you have one main light in a room, I have heard of people taking actual pictures of the room, one with the light off and one with the light on, and using those on a room by room basis.

The other nice thing with OSA is that  it brings a number of different technologies to one interface.  For automation equipment you can use X10, INsteon, Z-Wave and others.  But you can do other things too like incorporate weather data from Weather Underground, or news data from an RSS feed, all on your floorplan image.

Keep in mind that OSA is still in beta, but is growing fast.  There is a great community of forum users to help you through the setup and running of your system.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.