Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The Future of X10  (Read 136353 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: The Future of X10
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

The CM19A is not really a replacement for a CM15A. A replacement should have AT LEAST the same processing power. This is akin to X10 discontinuing the Airpad range and selling an abacus as a replacement - yes, I know it's a stretch, but I love extreme comparisons :)
I don't agree with the comparison. Perhaps replacing the Airpad with an Etch-A-Sketch. ;)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

The CM19A is not really a replacement for a CM15A. A replacement should have AT LEAST the same processing power. This is akin to X10 discontinuing the Airpad range and selling an abacus as a replacement - yes, I know it's a stretch, but I love extreme comparisons :)
I don't agree with the comparison. Perhaps replacing the Airpad with an Etch-A-Sketch. ;)
Yeah, that is closer... BUT what do we do with the knobs????  I don't remember an E-A-S being touch screen? rofl rofl rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

Funny how a positive bit of news from a X10 staff member calms all the Doomsdayers.
uh...what else would you expect to happen?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Disbelief? Doubt? I don't know, I was already calm, since I have all the spares I need.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »

Funny how a positive bit of news from a X10 staff member calms all the Doomsdayers.
what William said:
Disbelief? Doubt?
Certainly not the complete stopping of the preaching (not that I'm complaining)  ;)
It is also funny some expect X10 to reveal their direction but they don't expect this from others. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »

What X10 Repair Depot has done in first post is establish confidence that some one is in charge of this ship. Second he verified a company altering event has occurred and they are taking steps to correct it.   

Prior to this official disclosure you can infer from the buzz on facebook, forums, and resellers/ebay sellers that something bad has happened  (avoiding details on purpose)   Rumors/speculation fill the information void (entropy)    X10 appeared to be drifting without a captain in charge.

There are no promises being made as there is no guarantees life.   However the first post indicates a strong will to survive and evolve as a company.   

pomonabill221

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:24 PM »

Well, as far as I am concerned, let's hope that we aren't being lied to again!
Hopefully, IF they have in fact, done a little restructuring, X10 has worked over their customer support as well as the product quality and availability.
From what I have read in these forums, their cust. support REALLY sucks and is very disconnected (right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing), and that alone will bring a company down real fast!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »

Well, as far as I am concerned, let's hope that we aren't being lied to again!
.......... From what I have read in these forums, their cust. support REALLY sucks

I can't recall X10 ever actually lying. Although their advertisements do often stretch the limits of optimism past what most people might concider their own limits. I feel we can believe what X10 says.

Even though I can't recall reading many good posts about X10 customer service (EVER)... I've had good experience with it myself. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pomonabill221

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »

By lieing, I meant to reference their advertisements.
  We all know that there is alot to be desired about their ads...
  Also, as some people have experienced, their customer support says that they have items in stock, and when ordered, all of a sudden after waiting for weeks to receive the item, (according to another CSR), the item is on back order, or no longer is being offered! or another "equivalent" item is shipped, or a "refurbished" item is shipped and not a new item.
  These kind of practices are VERY bad, and with no notification about an item, this shows very poor support, and is deceptive!
  ANY supplier should at least notify a customer if an item is not available or is on backorder either BEFORE or very shortly AFTER an order is placed, and NOT leave it up to the customer to chase the supplier's problem.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »

Forgive my scepticism...

Someone posts on a forum that X10 is in dire straits. Forum members search for confirmation of that information and drop into depression that their favourite stuff is possibly being abandoned by the manufacturer. It's unheard of. It cannot possibly be true. etc.  :(

Someone posts on a forum that all is bright and shiny in the X10 camp. Forum members believe this without question and enter a state of mild euphoria  at the impending good times to come. It's fantastic. It's the best thing since unsliced bread. etc.  ;D

It's great that someone claiming to be from X10 is posting this latest round of rumours, but you'll all excuse me if I hold off the rejoicing until these rumours are confirmed by real official notifications and real official shipments of real official products that really (and officially) work.

Don't just tell me that things are fixed, old things will soon be in production and new things are being developed. Take the leap and show me that X10 is no longer taking orders for items that don't exist, show me that orders are being fulfilled instead of backordered/substituted.

BTW, did you know that the Ford Motor Company has decided to cease all production of all vehicles, as a moped will do almost exactly the same thing at much less cost to the consumer. I know this to be true because I just made it up.  rofl

Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

pomonabill221

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »

I cannot agree MORE!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »

By lieing, I meant to reference their advertisements.
  We all know that there is alot to be desired about their ads...

I actively complained about the old near nude models used in the ads at in the old days! I was [and still am] just happy to see a grownup like Web Site. Most technology oriented Sites don't bother explaining the technology at the sales Site. X10 isn't any different in that respect.

Also, as some people have experienced, ........... practices are VERY bad, and with no notification about an item, this shows very poor support, and is deceptive!

I've read that here myself. Hopefully if X10 hasn't already started to get a handle on that problem... they will soon.

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »

The purpose of this post is to address some of the speculation that has been on this forum over the last few months, and to provide some insight into where X10 is heading.

X10 in the US previously purchased all products ranging from home automation, security, and cameras from a single factory. Early last year, that factory ceased production and shut down. Since we relied on that single factory, it created a serious problem for us.

Since that time, we have been working hard to obtain products that will provide the best value to our customers. In some cases, we found an alternate factory to produce the existing items, some products will be replaced with superior items (such as our IP cameras), and we will bring on new items (such as tablet PCs, wireless intercoms, and the video door ID). 

We will be continuing to produce the following groups of items:

1)   Home Automation: We intend to continue to supply the core components that we always have. We currently have many of these items in stock and many of the remaining items are in production. Our product line of HA products is limited for now, but the core items will remain available. Over the past 6 months, we have invested a significant amount of money to have the existing modules produced again. We fully intend to continue supporting the X10 protocol. 
2)   CM15A: This item is an important item in our automation product line, however, at this time we are not able to produce it at a cost that consumers will be willing to pay. Rather than producing an item that will not sell, we will be putting our resources into developing a new and better product to replace the CM15A, we hope to release the new item during the 2nd half of 2012.  For now, the CM19A will be the replacement for the CM15A.
3)   Security systems: The SC1200 and accessories are being produced and are now available for immediate shipment.

We have had a difficult time over the last year, and we would like to thank all of the customers and forum members that have remained with us during this time.

This thread is/was getting a little off topic... I thought I'd help redirect it back to it's beginning.

thejackal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

Man I've been out of the loop too long. I replaced all my x10 cameras with ip cameras (not x10 ones I got 2 for the price of one of them) and decided to sell them on ebay.
That's when I seen the price of CM15A on there. So off to the forums I go to get caught up on the state of x10, now it's time to sit back and hope for the best.

Tom G.

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »

I don't know what price X10 considers too high for people to buy the CM15a. We already know that some people are willing to pay more than $100 for them. I think if they made some improvements to the software and better integrated tablets and smartphone, X10 could easily charge $100-$150 for a CM15a. Maybe more.

Tom G.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.