Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Out of 4 camera's , two keep showing black screens  (Read 4809 times)

dday59

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Out of 4 camera's , two keep showing black screens
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »

I have 4 camera's and one or sometimes two will show a black screen and a yellow dot below the picture. They pop in once in a while, but they are off more than on. Popup says that it can not connect with the camera.  The other two camera's work fine (they are closest to the wi fi router but all are less than 500 feet away).  How to solve this?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Out of 4 camera's , two keep showing black screens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »

but all are less than 500 feet away).  How to solve this?

Is 500 ft a typo? The range of these is not going to be that far.

dday59

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:56:53 AM »

Yes that is a typo.  They are only two small rooms away from the router.  I can see all 4 camera's one at a time.  When I pull up the one the other three keep constantly popping up "can't connect to device or Illegal Params".
Very annoying as it covers the screen to the only picture I can see.  Can see each camera if I log out and back in and pick a different camera each time,  Can see every camera on the internet with no problem using my smart phone.  Can not see the multicam function and I can't figure out why.  Hope someone can help.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

The multi-cam function should work fine with a computer using internet explorer. I am not sure how it works with a smartphone.

I have a few suggestions:

1) Can you view all 4 cameras at the same time with a computer?
1) If it does not work on a computer, are you using the latest version if Internet Explorer or are you using an alternate browser? Try using IE to see if that is you problem.
2) If the cameras and computer (if it is connected through a wifi connection) are too close together, perhaps they are interfering with each other.   Try separating everything a bit.

dday59

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »

I could see all 4 camera in the multifunction until I set it up to remotely see the cameras with my smart phone. (I am not trying to do the multifunction with my smart phone).  Now when I go into the home computer using linksys wireless router, I can pull up one camera and immediately all these popup's start saying they can not connect to the other camera's or Illegal params.  I can log out and pull up each camera individually and see the picture but all the pop ups start with every camera.  The multifunction will only show one camera even though I have them all set right in the system, however once in a great while they will pop in and out in the multifunction.  The only thing I changed was the port:  I switched each camera to a different port on the router and on the camera, so now instead of 80 one has 10001, the next 10002 and so on.  I changed the DDNS to the cap.cam address so that I could get the smart phone to work correctly.  Moving the camera's closer or further apart doesn't change anything.  Please help.  I would like to see all 4 cameras at once on the computer.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

dday59,

I have not personally set up more than two cameras, so I will have to experiment with this.

I would like to confirm a few thing first:
-What internet browser are you using? If you are not using Internet Explorer and selecting Active X mode, please try using IE.
-Did you set up a static IP address in each camera? If you are using DHCP, you will have problems.
-I do believe that every camera must have its own unique port set up in the camera and configured in the router. I'm almost certain of this.
-Do you have the same problem when viewing multiple cameras locally (by starting with the IP Camera Tool) and from a remote location?

dday59

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »

I am using IE and active x.  (windows7)  I only have the problem locally.  I did set up a static IP I think (I am not quite sure, but I have the cipcam.com address with the port number for each camera.  I can see remotely just fine on my smart phone.  I have not tried the lap top remotely yet.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »

I think that we are getting close to getting this solved.

First, it is important that each unit has a static IP address. You can confirm this in the camera's network settings, then basic network settings. The "Obtain IP from DHCP Server" box should not be checked, and you should fill in the appropriate 4 IP addresses. Since you can see the cameras remotely on your phone, this is probably set correctly.

This is the big one - most routers will not allow you to view the cameras using the remote DDNS address, while you are connected to the local network. I suspect that this is your problem. Try to access the cameras from a remote location with your laptop.

If it will work remotely, I can give some suggestions that I think will get it to work locally as well.

dday59

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »

I finally got it all to work.  I had the remote internet address on the multi set up and when I fixed it all the cameras come in now.  I can also see remotely with the laptop and my smart phone.  Thanks for your help......

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.