Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airpad Parts not available after less than 5 months.  (Read 9519 times)

EmpowerMaui

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Airpad Parts not available after less than 5 months.
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

X10 Really Sucks! B:(

Bought 2 airpad 7 in October 2011, thought I was getting a decent deal. Here it is March and they have come out with a 10 inch version, upgraded the OS and dropped the prices right after I got mine. Ok, it sucks to be me and rotten timing. Well I just got off the phone with their support and I need some case parts. I cracked mine, but as a tech I know it's just a matter of replacing the case and it still work, although it looks terrible. X10 customer support tells me that they no longer carry parts or support that old model. Old model????
Barely 5 months old and I can't get parts or support?  ???  I had a bad feeling about ordering from X10 right after I put in the order, but thought that they had been around long enough that they could not be a scam company, but watching the deceptive ads that create hype around nothing and the lack of support for new products and they way they back you into a corner with their return policies, it's pretty obvious that they make money because enough people with take a chance and not go through the headaches to get a fair shake with them.
Too bad so many businesses will spend time to complicate their customer service in an effort to make money by wearing down their customer and avoid giving real customer service and support.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:09:28 AM by X10 Repair Depot »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Airpad Parts not available after less than 5 months. X10 Sucks!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

Parts and support are still available for all airpad models. At 5 months old your unit is out of warranty, and your unit was physically damaged, so in your case no WARRANTY parts are available .

You did not indicate what parts you need. If you need a touch screen, I will tell you that the cost will exceed the value of the unit - and that is not because of any huge markup from us. The high complexity of the device coupled with a relatively low selling price will make it impractical to repair them if they have a major problem outside of the warranty period. That's the way it is with any product like this.

If you would like to discuss this further, either post here, or send me a PM or email.

cyxd

Re: Airpad Parts not available after less than 5 months.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »

Hello

I have an Airpad 7p, and have been content with it in almost all aspects. Netflix streams poorly, no app store access from Canada. Far from perfect, but good value for the price.

My screen is now cracked, and while it is still functional, I'd like to replace it. I understand that shipping and labour make the cost of screen replacement too high to be acceptable. So my question is:

Can I buy a screen?

One way shipping, and I'll install it myself.

Either from X10, or hopefully from closer to the source...

Thanks

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »

Hello

I have an Airpad 7p, and have been content with it in almost all aspects. Netflix streams poorly, no app store access from Canada. Far from perfect, but good value for the price.

My screen is now cracked, and while it is still functional, I'd like to replace it. I understand that shipping and labour make the cost of screen replacement too high to be acceptable. So my question is:

Can I buy a screen?

One way shipping, and I'll install it myself.

Either from X10, or hopefully from closer to the source...

Thanks

The tablet contains a touchscreen and a LCD (these are separate items). I am guessing that the piece that is cracked is the touchscreen. If so, this is a relatively expensive part, and it is not easy to change. X10 does not sell individual parts. You can try contacting the tablet's manufacturer (Ployer), but I will suspect that it will cost less to buy a new tablet than to replace the touchscreen.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »

I would put out inquiries to a few of the reputable over seas sites that sell your particular model.  I have seen them create a sku just so you can order.  They tend to do their own repairs so have the parts. With luck you can get the glass for $10 to $20 which includes overseas shipping (taking 3 to 4 weeks).   Not sure if they do it as a courtesy for their own customers.   The lower tier tablets tend to break easily when dropped while the higher end  use gorilla glass or chemically treated glass survive a bit better.  A whole cottage industry has been built around this repair task..especially for the Iphone
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:25:42 PM by pseeker »

cyxd

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »

Does anyone have specs on the touchscreen part? Make, model, part number etc? With X10 being the sole source of the airpad, any chinese sources of the ployer momo9 are not going to owe me any favours. and i would not be able to provide them with a model number they will recognize as their own.

The back of my airpad says FCC ID: Z9UMOMO9C

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »

If you intend to pursue this, your best bet is to contact Ployer directly. The components of the tablets are unique, you will not find another supplier.

cyxd

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:15:08 AM »

Best response I've received so far has been:

Is the model Momo9 or Momo9 enhanced edition or Momo9 deluxe edition?

To ensure that I get the right part, how should I respond?

Thank you

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »

I know the manufacture's part number is the MOMO9, but I am not sure which of the 3 it is. I would respond that is it the X10 Airpad CM007. They made a ton of them for us so they should be able to determine the correct touch screen from that.

cyxd

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

Problem is ployer hasn't returned my emails. I got the 'which one' question from a reseller with a service dept. Is there a part # associated with the touch screen. Mine is still working though cracked, so I hesitate to open it up without having the replacement in hand...

cyxd

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 02:10:30 AM »

Got a response from ployer, the airpad 7p is the momo9 enhanced. Mostly. I got a price of $73 for screen replacement. Both touch and LCD, as the LCD is cracked now too. Still hoping to do better, as ployer are not set up for end customer service.

So I either need to find a cheap way of fixing this, or replace it. If I replace it, it is going to be with one of the ones for less than $60 (incl shipping) direct from China. At that price, it becomes a lot easier to walk away from, truly disposable. Or closer to $200+, looking for something more robust.

So here's a question for the tech guys at X10. How much time do you put into investigating defective returns? Hook it up to power, try to flash it. Then what? Surely there comes a point where it is not worth diagnosis/repair.

Rather than waste your time, how much to just throw them in a box and ship me one or two that have intact screens?

>*<

cjhallx

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • Over 35 years experience from PCs to mainframes
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »

Does anyone have specs on the touchscreen part? Make, model, part number etc? With X10 being the sole source of the airpad, any chinese sources of the ployer momo9 are not going to owe me any favours. and i would not be able to provide them with a model number they will recognize as their own.

The back of my airpad says FCC ID: Z9UMOMO9C

Do an internet search for FCC database and enter the FCC ID. Maybe what you are looking for is there.
As far as X-10 being the only supplier, I am sorry that you were misled.  I found several sellers with no problem at all.   

http://www.lelong.com.my/momo9c-tablet-pc-7-inch-android-2-3-1-2ghz-rm449-free-shipping-99393158-2013-01-Sale-P.htm

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/311779/211303385-511520197/New-MOMO-9c-2-7-Inch-5-Points-Touch-Capacitive-Screen-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC.html

http://digital-world-online.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=momo9c

Hope some of this will be useful. Any other questions you can't find answers to keep posting. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

I have an AIRPAD X which is a re-badge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91 and an AIRPAD XL which is a re-badge of the PLOYER MOMO15

If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.