Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airsight Issues  (Read 6289 times)

Jeph15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Airsight Issues
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

I just purchased and setup an Airsight camera in my house.  Overall I am fairly satisfied, however there are two major concerns I have.  I was hoping somebody would know whether there are workarounds for either of these issues.

1. Night vision will not see through glass window.  I got this mainly to monitor my front yard and driveway from inside my front window.  While pointed directly ahead all I can see is the reflection of the LEDS.  Pointed to the sides I just get a blurry picture.  I have tried surrounding the camera in a box to block out any reflection from light inside the house.  I also put an anti-glare screen on the window in front of the camera.  I realize I should probably just buy and outdoor cam for this, but I was wondering if anyone had any success doing this.

2. When the camera is on the auto pan mode, the motion detection won't work.  Is this how the camera is designed, or is it something I have setup incorrectly?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Airsight Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »

1) Using the night vision through glass is a problem, due to the reason that you noted. Unfortunately, the only real solution is an outdoor camera. A secondary advantage of an outdoor camera, is that the night vision range is much greater than the indoor camera.

2)  In the camera's setup choose "other",  "Alarm Service Settings", and check "Motion Detect Armed". Then try adjusting the Motion Detect Sensitivity.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »

1. Night vision will not see through glass window.  but I was wondering if anyone had any success doing this.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
No, night vision through a window will not work. Night vision depends on the infrared (IR)  LEDs around the camera lens to illuminate the view area. Glass, filters out most of the IR the LEDs are outputting, so IR illumination through window glass doesn't work well.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jeph15

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

Thank you both for your responses.  I will have to pick up an Outdoor camera to solve problem number one.  As for the other issue; I am attaching a clipping of my alarm settings.  With what I have here, the motion detection does not work in auto scan mode.

Also, when I have the camera in a fixed position, ever since I turned on "Record on Alarm", it no longer sends emails of stills when it senses motion.  The email section is configured correctly because it was working and when I run the test is comes up successful.  Any thoughts on whats going wrong here?

I only have one Airsight device, no additional alarm or home automation components right now.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »

A sensitivity of 6 may be too low. Try setting it higher and see if that helps.

robbeach

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »

1. Night vision will not see through glass window.  I got this mainly to monitor my front yard and driveway from inside my front window.  While pointed directly ahead all I can see is the reflection of the LEDS.  Pointed to the sides I just get a blurry picture.  I have tried surrounding the camera in a box to block out any reflection from light inside the house.  I also put an anti-glare screen on the window in front of the camera.  I realize I should probably just buy and outdoor cam for this, but I was wondering if anyone had any success doing this.

Hi !  I've had x10 camera for years...  I have not tried this idea but have been tossing it around in my mind for a while..
and that is..

Installing exterior IR lights... there are a number of them on the internet... the big ones are quoted as running "hot".
It seems like it would work well... the principal is to light the area with IR outside... as the "light" is coming in there shouldn't be
the reflection problem.    The concept I am working on is the same as if you are in your living room with the light on...
you can't see out so well... but when you turn your inside light off.. well, you get the idea.

My preference would be for the newer "black" leds... bears have a tendency to attacked the red light IRs.   Not that
you have any bears... but you might have burglars or nosey neighbors that you don't want to overly "broadcast" your
camera set up.   ;)  .

I probably going to order one or two today... just to experiment.   Obviously I'll report back but it will be some time
to get it all together.

R.

jojojibba

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »

Couple comments:

1. I am unfamiliar with the software, however, when the camera is in 'auto pan' mode, motion is constant, no?  So, the 'record on motion' mode will be undependable.  'Normal' mode is the best pick.

2. Regarding external IR lighting:  It works.  However, if you are still using a camera with IR built in it AND shooting through a glass window, the IR emitting from the camera will continue to white out your nighttime pics.
To obtain ideal video while using external IR lighting with a camera viewing through glass, use a camera with no IR, or, disable the IR on the camera if possible.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.