Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Timer turn lamps off, but will not turn them on.  (Read 11111 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Timer turn lamps off, but will not turn them on.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »

I have been testing with my CM11A.
When I tried to download a few tests timers. It hung up in a never ending downloading mode and locked up.

Yes if the computer is running you will most likely find X10nets.exe running as it starts when Windows Opens and it handles stored timers even if AHP is not opened.

rfmtm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »

I do see X10nets running.  So are you saying that it was the X10nets timers that turned on the lights and not the timers downloaded into the CM11A? 

I have had the computer on before and the lights still did not come on, but I also had AHP running. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

I am not sure if AHP downloads anything to a CM11A.
I downloaded through AHP a few timers.
Then ran the old AH and it said all of the download area was 100% free while AHP indicated about 4 % of memory was used.
Unfortunately I am not an X10 software person so I hope others can add more data.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »

Maybe we can get X10 Repair Depot to let us know how AHP works or doesn't work with a CM11A.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »

I don't think the CM11 has any memory for storing programs. It's been 20 years since I used one but am faily sure it needed a computer 100% of the time. $0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rfmtm

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »

No the CM11 worked fine with the older AH program.  The new AHP does download to it, and many functions work fine including the timer to turn lamps off, and appliance modules on and off.  Just the timers will not turn the lamps back on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »

CM11A has a small amount of on board memory for storage.
If memory serves me. A precise dusk dawn table downloaded to it almost filled it up. Most of us used the less accurate tables as it took less room.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

When the timers worked with the PC running, what did the Activity Monitor show for those timer commands?
How does that compare to when you manually turn the lights on and off?

Did you try defining the lamp modules as LM14A's, and see what happens?
Are the timers accidentally set to "run from PC," instead of "Store in Interface"?

rfmtm

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

Looking now, the Activity Monitor correctly showed the on command and the lights did indeed turn on.  The Monitor also shows correctly when activated manually.

With the computer off, and it would appear when AHP is running, the Monitor later shows no on command and the lights do not turn on at the preset time.

Regardless of how the lamp modules are set, the results are the same.

All timers are set to Store in Interface.

So it would appear if the computer is running, but AHP is not, the lights work with the timers.  But with the computer off, only the timers for the appliances and the lights off command work. 

Just before upgrading to AHP everything work fine, so it would appear AHP is not setting up the CM11A properly to use the timers to turn the lights on.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »

It sounds like the timer being stored is not storing the same command that is run when the Pc is on.
It sounds like with the Pc running, timers and macros (even those stored in the interface) get run from the PC. (I can't verify that, but that's what it sounds like to me at least).

You said that the Activity Monitor shows the correct "on" command for the lights.
What is the EXACT command you see (is it a "Bright 100," an "Extended Dim," or an "On" command?
What about when you manually turn on the light via the AHP interface?

AHP cannot capture any events if the PC is off, so it is understandable that you won't see anything in the AHP event logs for the time the PC was turned off.
However, the X10nets service should be running as a background service, even when AHP is not open. As long as it is running (with the unit attached of course), it will try to capture those events.

When you shut the PC down, are you disconnecting the serial cable from the CM11A? I remember reading something a number of years ago about the CM11A not running timer and macros correctly if the cable was left attached, but the PC was shut down. You might try unplugging the cable (and for some reason it seemed to make a difference if you unplugged the CM11A-end of the cable or if you unplugged the PC-end), and seeing if there is any difference.

Also, please confirm that timers for BOTH the SoftStart AND the Non-softStart modules are the ones that are not turning on.
I suspect the CM11A might not be properly storing the Extended Dim commands, while it storing the "simple" commands (on/off) just fine.

rfmtm

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

Noam.......I think you pretty much summed it up.  As to the Monitor here is some more specifics.  When turned on manually from AHP the Monitor shows the "ON" command.   When AHP is not running, but X10nets is, the Monitor shows the command to be "Bright 100", however, both old and new lamp modules turn on.

When running on the CM11A (PC off), neither the soft-start or the older lamp modules turn on with a timer, but the appliance modules will.

I can try unplugging the cable to the CM11A, but don't recall having to do that with the older AH software.

Seems a very basic problem like this would affect a lot of users as there are still a lot of CM11A out there.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »

You would think it could effect many CM11A users.
One of the independent X10 dealers bought a production run of recent CM11As and still has 1850 of them. They also made a deal with X10 for getting a AHP license with out purchasing a CM15A or CM15K to get it.

rfmtm

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »

Brian.........yes I have seen dealers and online sellers still selling the CM11A with the claim that is is 100% compatible with the new AHP software.

Certainly using a simple timer is a very basic thing to do, so strange that I have this problem and no one else apparently does.  I would just think I had a bad CM11 other than it worked before on AH and the fact that it is only one function that doesn't work and everything else does.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »

I am not sure how many CM11A users have AHP.
I believe a large majority of them are using Linux based or third party automation programs.

rfmtm

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »

Well tonight the computer was on and AHP was not running, and the lights did not come on like they did last night under the same conditions.  However, as usual the appliance modules all came on as scheduled.  So something is just not right or is intermittent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.