Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Airpad XL Refurbished Review  (Read 35025 times)

Jimdi

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Airpad XL Refurbished Review
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

OK - some have posted that they wish there was a review of the Airpad XL... so I am accommodating. :)
I purchase the Airpad XL refurbished - based on the ad that says "Like-New" and the "Only difference is the price!"
Shipping was prompt and even though I did standard shipping - I received mine in 2 days.  I must live within a state or two of the warehouse. :)
When I opened the box - "it did look like new" As a matter of fact - I couldn't tell at all by appearance that they unit was a refurbished one.
The only "technical" issue I had was the "how to" of inserting a micro SD card. The instructions were not clear on how far to press it in. You feel tension and then need to push further until the card is actually about 1mm inside the case before it will click into place and stay in the tablet.
X10 support was VERY GOOD at returning my call the following business day to answer all my questions. They even updated the WIKI page on the micro SD card to be more complete. They also answered my emails within a day or two.
So for service - so far -- I give them another big :)
The tablet itself has been great - It runs all the apps I have downloaded from Amazon apps without a hitch. And after almost 2 weeks of daily use - battery life seems very good -lasting me all day and evening. So far - there have been no technical issues, once i figured out how to insert an SD card correctly! :)

Yes it does support external USB devices like keyboard, jump drives, and hard drives.

The downside: You can't download From the Google apps website - which makes finding a few select apps difficult. You can get most directly from the developers website -- Like PlayOn for example.

Technical shortcomings include: No Bluetooth, No bluetooth support, No GPS. Other than that - it's pretty sweet.

So for $200 bucks if you can live without Google Appstore - and Bluetooth, and GPS - you have a pretty sweet tablet!

Post if you agree - disagree!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:48:50 PM by Jimdi »

hairface

• Helpful Post Rating: 26
Re: Airpad XL Refurbished Review
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

there r posts here on how to get "google play" up and running.
H
If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

Jimdi

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »

Yes - but as a "newbie" to Airpads (not pcs) I am hesitant to hack the system to get to a feature I need.

If the process was simpler than I have seen posted here - I might not list it as a "downside."

Out of the box - the airpad doesn't connect with Google - so that is a negative.

Out of the Box - it has no support for Bluetooth - that is a negative.

If someone could provide me with a simple way to access Google - I might rethink it.
(if that matters at all)

Jim
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:24:45 AM by Jimdi »

hairface

• Helpful Post Rating: 26
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

The 4.0.3 ROM has Google play installed and running
If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

Jimdi

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »

Good I will be glad when the "alpha" version is out for the XL...

daldude

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

I got mine on Tuesday 4/17 and I am Not Happy with it. It definitely looks used, has  a scratch on the edge of the screen and marks all over the frame these cosmetic defects are not a major problem but why did I get one that looks more then just lightly used it looks like it was used for a extended period of time.
The major problem it has is the screen is not very bright at all and I have it at Maximum brightness, compared to a IPAD it's no where near as bright and if you say "You can't expect it to have a IPAD Quality screen image" I had a Nextbook 7 inch Tablet that had a screen as bright as a IPAD even at half brightness. I was in a building with overhead florescent lighting and it was not real bright lighting like found in Walmart or Grocery stores where it's almost blinding but a mid level brightness.

Also many programs lock up or crash run on it like The Weather Channel App, Weather Bug App, Al-Quran by Zoxcell,  and all these programs ran fine on the Nextbook. Also Tunin Radio and IHeart Radio  can't be installed via Google play or Amazone Appstore  App and I had to find the apk files and manually install them on the XL and NEXTTALK Smart Phone App can't be installed via Google Play and I have not found the apk file yet. Also WinAmp and Google Play crashes on it. There are other programs that don't run, lock up, or crash on it that did not do this on the Nextbook but I can't remember the programs names.

I am Not At All Happy with this Tablet and I hope it's just a defective unit because if this is normal then it's Not worth $200 and is a piece of junk.

Jimdi

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »

Wow it sounds like you got a rough one.  Why don't you return it exchange it as defective.  My screen is plenty bright - so there is a problem right there.  Granted it's not an IPAD -- but for what it is I have been mostly happy with it.  Although this Crappy Playback of AVI's is starting to bug me.

I am also getting really ANNOYED on this ridiculous DELAY ON ICS --- the ad Say's "Ice Cream Sandwich Upgradeable" but should say "If we ever bother to post it."

$200

daldude

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »

That is exactly what I am doing, returning it for a replacement and it better fix the problems I'm having especially the locking up / crashing problems. I called X10 Friday and they said I should get a return label Saturday or Monday in my email in box (Why does it take so long to Email a shipping label file?   ::) )

Wow it sounds like you got a rough one.  Why don't you return it exchange it as defective.  My screen is plenty bright - so there is a problem right there.  Granted it's not an IPAD -- but for what it is I have been mostly happy with it.  Although this Crappy Playback of AVI's is starting to bug me.

I am also getting really ANNOYED on this ridiculous DELAY ON ICS --- the ad Say's "Ice Cream Sandwich Upgradeable" but should say "If we ever bother to post it."

$200

Jimdi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »

Don't really have any locking up crashing problems - the only thing I can really bitch about is the lousy video playback, and the LONG time it's takeing to get ICS out there for us.

Jim

dberk

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

I just spoke with "Jessica" from X10 Customer Service. At first she said that ICS would be available in three weeks, but then said it was really thought to be available in 7 days. She said that "writing a total operating system for a table is a big project, and X10 is not a big company". I asked her what my recourse would be if ICS was never released for the product, and she reminded me that for refurbished units, all sales were final. I asked her if that was a little unfair, since the webpage clearly indicates that the unit was ICS upgradable, and while she agreed it said that, she said all sales were final. She said that "X10 would not lie to millions of people. ICS will be available."

The call was pleasant and nonconfrontational. I will feel better when somebody on the forum says that ICS is available and works.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

I doubt X10 is writing it at all.
I would suspect it is being customized by the OEM who made the tablet X10 puts its name on.

dberk

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »

I doubt X10 is writing it at all.
I would suspect it is being customized by the OEM who made the tablet X10 puts its name on.

Brian,

You are most likely correct. That brings me to my personal issue. Can you point me to a tutorial, or book, or article that teaches a newbie like myself how to upgrade an Android Tablet to a upgraded operating system that might be available from Ployer? A lot of us out here are Computer literate in general, but don't have a firm (or even limp) knowledge of the Android environment. I haven't found the "for dummies" book that puts it in simple enough terms...

Regards,

Jimdi

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

Yes please how to and the link for download please.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »

I am not a tablet user and have no data on them.

You may want to search the forums for information. There are a few very knowledgeable tablet users here and would help you find the proper firmware files for your particular manufacturers device.

Seems many of the X10 Tablets are assorted models and manufacturers. Each has its own particular upgrade if released and using one for a different model or manufacturer could be a problem.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »

I just spoke with "Jessica" from X10 Customer Service. At first she said that ICS would be available in three weeks, but then said it was really thought to be available in 7 days. She said that "writing a total operating system for a table is a big project, and X10 is not a big company". I asked her what my recourse would be if ICS was never released for the product, and she reminded me that for refurbished units, all sales were final. I asked her if that was a little unfair, since the webpage clearly indicates that the unit was ICS upgradable, and while she agreed it said that, she said all sales were final. She said that "X10 would not lie to millions of people. ICS will be available."

Upgrading the Android OS is not like upgrading from one version of Windows to the next. Every device needs to have an customized version created for it, and that involves a lot of work. The CPU manufacturer needs to do work, as does the motherboard manufacturer, the manufacturer of the tablet, and X10. I am highly involved with getting this released, and unfortunately it has been taking longer than expected. I expect to be able to test a new version tomorrow, and if it works properly we should be able to get it to everybody soon. I cannot promise an exact release date, but it will be released when it is ready.

dberk and Jimdi,

There is a post stickyed on the forum that gives step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade the OS. Currently, for the XL there is only a link to the original GB version of the software, but the instructions are the same if you choose to install another version. That being said, the other version has significant issues, so installing it would not really be a good idea at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.