Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Airpad XL Refurbished Review  (Read 35022 times)

Jimdi

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Airpad XL Refurbished Review
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »

Thank you for the Heads Up Repair Depot - I appreciate it.   Many talk about ICS as the next coming... Promises to solve video playback and Google ap store problems...

Just wish there was more light at the end of the tunnel on when ICS will be available....

Please keep us posted -

Thanks for the Update

daldude

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »

I just spoke with "Jessica" from X10 Customer Service. At first she said that ICS would be available in three weeks, but then said it was really thought to be available in 7 days. She said that "writing a total operating system for a table is a big project, and X10 is not a big company". I asked her what my recourse would be if ICS was never released for the product, and she reminded me that for refurbished units, all sales were final. I asked her if that was a little unfair, since the webpage clearly indicates that the unit was ICS upgradable, and while she agreed it said that, she said all sales were final. She said that "X10 would not lie to millions of people. ICS will be available."

Upgrading the Android OS is not like upgrading from one version of Windows to the next. Every device needs to have an customized version created for it, and that involves a lot of work. The CPU manufacturer needs to do work, as does the motherboard manufacturer, the manufacturer of the tablet, and X10. I am highly involved with getting this released, and unfortunately it has been taking longer than expected. I expect to be able to test a new version tomorrow, and if it works properly we should be able to get it to everybody soon. I cannot promise an exact release date, but it will be released when it is ready.

dberk and Jimdi,

There is a post stickyed on the forum that gives step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade the OS. Currently, for the XL there is only a link to the original GB version of the software, but the instructions are the same if you choose to install another version. That being said, the other version has significant issues, so installing it would not really be a good idea at this time.

It's better then the piece of crap GB that is on the XL Now, no Video Sync Problems and the interface is much better totally cool and Awesome once you go to ICS you will never go back to GB.
Also it has Google Play
You do how ever have to edit the key files because the Volume buttons don't work but most of the time you can access the tool bar without exiting the program and control the volume.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »

It's better then the piece of crap GB that is on the XL Now, no Video Sync Problems and the interface is much better totally cool and Awesome once you go to ICS you will never go back to GB.
Also it has Google Play
You do how ever have to edit the key files because the Volume buttons don't work but most of the time you can access the tool bar without exiting the program and control the volume.

I think you are being a bit harsh. We have sold a ton of the XL with Gingerbread, and have had very few complaints or returns of this model. GB is stable, and outside of a few comments on the forum the video issue does not seem to bother most people. I have been using one of these for months and I did not notice it at all until it was first mentioned up here. Also, due to licensing issues, the X10 version will not have Google Play installed.

hairface

• Helpful Post Rating: 26
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »

were u able to get them to put in external bluetooth support ?
If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

dberk

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »

From X10 Repair Depot:

Also, due to licensing issues, the X10 version will not have Google Play installed.

Two issues with this:
1) Wouldn't it be fair to your customer base to note this on your website? Full disclosure is important, especially to android newbies like myself.
2) Can somebody post a newbie-link to a workaround to allow us to access android market product? I'll assume that X10 doesn't want to / can't give us that information directly.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:01:14 PM by dberk »

hairface

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »

once they release the X10 version I will look at adding google play and post instructions. as long as the released version is rooted we should have no issues.

H
If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »

were u able to get them to put in external bluetooth support ?

No, I was told that it will not be possible to add bluetooth support to this release.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:25 AM »

From X10 Repair Depot:

Also, due to licensing issues, the X10 version will not have Google Play installed.

Two issues with this:
1) Wouldn't it be fair to your customer base to note this on your website? Full disclosure is important, especially to android newbies like myself.
2) Can somebody post a newbie-link to a workaround to allow us to access android market product? I'll assume that X10 doesn't want to / can't give us that information directly.

Thanks.

Our sales website states that our tablets have Amazon Market support, it never indicated that the this unit would have Google Play (Market) support. This will not change with the new release.  Getting certified by Google to be able supply Google Play is a huge undertaking and it is the reason that no low to mid range tablets LEGITIMATELY have Google support.

If you choose to install the manufacturer's OS rather than the X10 OS, then you should refer to forums specifically geared towards the OEM model.

dberk

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »

From X10 Repair Depot:

Two issues with this:

Thanks.

Our sales website states that our tablets have Amazon Market support, it never indicated that the this unit would have Google Play (Market) support. This will not change with the new release.  Getting certified by Google to be able supply Google Play is a huge undertaking and it is the reason that no low to mid range tablets LEGITIMATELY have Google support.

If you choose to install the manufacturer's OS rather than the X10 OS, then you should refer to forums specifically geared towards the OEM model.

I did go back and read the website.

"Full-Featured"
"With all the features you could want"
"Upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) in February" (2012 assumed)

I aslo have a Galaxy Tab. On the chart on your website, it compares the AirPad only in ways that the AirPad can be perceived as better. This might have been the place to indicate that the Galaxy Tab was "certified" and the AirPad was not.

I realize that it is kind of a "newbie tax". If I want the AirPad to do what my Galxay Tab does, I will have to get support elsewhere. As you have indicated.

On your forum, you ask us to report how we are using our AirPads. That is all I am doing.

Peace Out,
Dberk   B:(

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »

I aslo have a Galaxy Tab. On the chart on your website, it compares the AirPad only in ways that the AirPad can be perceived as better. This might have been the place to indicate that the Galaxy Tab was "certified" and the AirPad was not.

I realize that it is kind of a "newbie tax". If I want the AirPad to do what my Galxay Tab does, I will have to get support elsewhere. As you have indicated.

On your forum, you ask us to report how we are using our AirPads. That is all I am doing.
Lets make this fair: How much did you pay for the Samsung Tab??
You did not pay $500 for the AirPad, why are you trying to compare to a $400 to $500 tablet? I suppose you expect your Smartcar to drive like an Esplanade also.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

daldude

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »

From X10 Repair Depot:

Two issues with this:

Thanks.

This is just Wrong  ::), Google has no right to force people to buy over priced Tablets or Cell Phones just to have access to the Android Market which contains most of the good Apps, Google Play should be available on Any Android device starting at GB  why should I have to sacrifice quality Apps just because I can't afford a device that averages  $400 or more. I checked Bestbuy and the cheapest ICS Flash compatible Tablet was 329 by Archos and was in limited stock probably because it was a discontinued model and it has no Memory Card Slot.
You can get a Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 ICS Tablet for 250 bucks that has flash, GPS, Bluetooth and WIFI but it has only a 7 inch screen so the screen would be too small for us old people with not so great sight who would have to switch to our reading glasses to use it.

Also why can the manufacture of the tablet a cheap unknown company in china get their version approved by Google but X10 can't? Or how did they get the Google Play App installed on their version of the Tablet?  B:(

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »

Also why can the manufacture of the tablet a cheap unknown company in china get their version approved by Google but X10 can't? Or how did they get the Google Play App installed on their version of the Tablet?  B:(

"LEGITIMATELY" is the key word here. The low priced tablets in China are not certified. Google either cannot control them or they choose not to. They can and do control Android tablets that are sold from US based companies. 

hairface

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

Everyone,

This is not something that is uncommon in the tablet world. that is why there are forums that give support to people that want more out of there tablets.  I for one don't mind flashing my tablet with an image that is not from the OEM, or rooting my tablet with third party software.  if you think this is the only tablet that has Google play issues go check the forums on slatedroid and/or XDA.

So far I am very happy with my XL and all that it is capable of and will work on getting a kernel that will support bluetooth because that is something that I want on my tablet, and yes I knew when I bought it that it did not come with built-in bluetooth.

H

ce_runner

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »

Hairface... I could not agree with you more... I have flashed my 7p numerous times with X10, Ployer and 3rd party images and it gets better with every flash. For the money, these are great tablets... My 7p was purchased as a refurb and I have not had one problem (except the ones that I caused...) with it.
 cj 

dberk

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

Lets make this fair: How much did you pay for the Samsung Tab??
You did not pay $500 for the AirPad, why are you trying to compare to a $400 to $500 tablet? I suppose you expect your Smartcar to drive like an Esplanade also.

Please comment on the fact that the website says the unit will be upgradeable to ICS in February. I wasn't the one who tried to compare it to a more expensive tablet. X10 was. See the website. Even X10 now admits that video playback is out of sync. The topic of the forum thread is Airpad XL Refurbished Review. Review means discuss the bad with the good. If the advertising isn't totally honest, which advertising usually isn't, this is where you  point it out. We can expect it to not be as strong as an iPad, for sure. But why can't we know where the weaknesses will be? The SmartCar doesn't advertise itself as "full-featured". If you knew video playback was going to be out of sync, and you bought it to watch video, you probably wouldn't have purchased it. Can't comment on an Esplanade because I don't know what one is. My bad. :'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.