Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PowerFlash upgrade?  (Read 3851 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
PowerFlash upgrade?
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »

I have a PF that I've been using on a motion sensor in front of my garage that died.  I replaced it with a new PF and it works ok.  The problem is that even after adding filters and an XTB-IIR, this module is still iffy.  It's at the end of a run and has pretty low signal strength when it gets to the CM15A (or XTB-IIR) due to some unresolvable signal suckers/noise generators (washer/dryer, hot tub, etc).  It appears that the PF only generages between 5-7V signal according to the XTBM, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a higher signal PF?  Insteon makes a few, here's the cheapest one that would work:

http://www.insteon.net/2450-IO-Linc-Contact-Closure.html

I've bought enough stuff recently that has helped but not resolved things that I'm a little gun shy to just order more items (the WAF just isn't there at the moment).  Alternately, I am looking at the XTB-ANR (but that probably won't help here) or the XTB-TSS (again, not really the right problem for the solution).  I guess I could go with a signal booster, but for a single PF it seems like a tough call.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PowerFlash upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

Sales page for the 2450 says minimum of 3.2 volt PP into a 5 Ohm Load for an X10 transmission.
http://www.smarthome.com/2450/IOLinc-INSTEON-Low-Voltage-Contact-Closure-Interface-1-In-1-Out-/p.aspx

I did a real rough test with a PF284 and a 2450.
XPPF on test rig so no outside signals would effect the readings on my XTBM
PF284 sending an A4 On and Off. 6.71 volts
2450 sending an A4 On and Off. 4.43 volts.

Smartlabs also changed their modules firmware to add a more secure Insteon Protocol. I2CS. It added a check sum to the extended messaging.
I have seen vague things on X10 support maybe dropped in some modules. Possibly to make room for the added I2CS code.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:47:31 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »

Ok, so then the 2450 is good for future compatibility but a poor choice to improve signal strength.  Any other suggestions?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »

I don't know of any other alternative that may have a stronger output.

If they don't drop X10 support in the 2450. It would be an option as the PF284 seems to be on the Discontinued List from one of the independent dealers.

The 2450 has a few short comings when compared to a Powerflash.
It only can be triggered by a dry closure and can be damaged if you try and use a low voltage into its Sensor Terminal.
It can't be set to flash lights or trigger a PowerHorn by sending a cycle of X10 signals.
Though it does also have an internal relay for switching a load that can be assigned an X10 address.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:36:09 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »

Perhaps you could extend the low-voltage wires, and put the PowerFlash in an outlet that is closer to the breaker box.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »

Funny you should mention that.  That's what I'm planning on doing today.  I was just on the way out the door to pick up some door bell/garage door opener wire to give that a try.  I have an outlet already picked out.  This isn't the ideal setup, but it will have to do at least for now.  Short of filtering some things that are very complex to filter (30A 220 dryer primarily), moving the PF to the best outlet is the only alternative.  Well, I had considered running a whole new line from the panel, but that seemed overkill.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.