Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best wireless camera for Macintosh / outdoor survelliance?  (Read 6947 times)

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Best wireless camera for Macintosh / outdoor survelliance?
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »

Hello folks,

As prices on wireless cameras are now low enough that I can consider buying one or two, so I'd like to ask the community about the best brand to get.  In the $50-$70 range, I'm considering Apexis, Wansview, Esky, EasyN, plus a couple of others from Amazon that don't seem to have brand names. Amazon reviews are mixed - some love 'em, some hate 'em - so can't make a decision based on those. All seem to be Chinese manufacture. 

My intention is for home surveillance - I know it won't keep the bad guys out, but I figure I can give it to the cops afterwards.  Undecided right now if I will place them inside or out as power accessibility outdoors is more limited.

My brief experience with surveillance cameras is that I did actually buy a cheap camera years ago (record to VCR), but the picture was completely useless for picking out any details.

My questions are:

What specs do I need to look for to get good resolution enough to identify a face?  Sensitivity? Resolution? Pixels? Frame rate? Lux?
Do they work with a Mac?
Are they weatherproof?
Do they continuously record or only when the motion sensor is tripped?
And most important, if it records video to my computer, isn't that the first thing the thieves are going to steal, which makes it kind of pointless?  (I don't have a spare PC to hide in a closet).  Or is it recording to a website?

Note: I don't currently have any X-10 software (it all seems to be Windows-only as well), just lamp & appliance modules.

Thanks!

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Best wireless camera for Macintosh / outdoor survelliance?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

I must say I'm a bit stunned but mostly disappointed - 198 views and not a single reply to what should be some common questions...
Moderator, is this query in the wrong place?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »

Stunned and disappointed?   ???
You ask a number of questions which tend to be personal preference or task dependant. Also since this IS the X10 forum, readers of the forum are likely to have X10 cameras and may have little knowledge of the other camera brands you are asking about. It is a little like asking about the Ford Focus in the Chevrolet showroom. I would try to find a broader "IP camera forum" through Google instead of using a manufacturers forum.

Of all the cameras you researched, was there a big difference in specs?

In each of the categories you are looking at , with the exception of Lux, the higher the number the better the camera. Lux and sensitivity are related, and so is resolution and pixels. Frame rate is important if you want to capture rapid, blur free, movement. I doubt I am telling you anything you didn't already know.

My guess is most of the knowlage base here is on X10 cameras which you are not even asking about. Which *may* explain the silence
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

When you buy a $60 camera, what you get is a $60 camera - it doesn't really make much difference which brand or non-brand you select.

You say that you want to pick out a face. At what range? I still cannot help you with all the variables out there, but this is a question that you need to ask.

Lux? Low lux usually works great in low light conditions, not so great in bright light.

Frame rate? Are you making movies? For surveillance you probably need to get higher resolution and lower frame rate.

Are they weatherproof? Weather resistant camera will be weather resistant to the manufacturer specifications.

Do they record continuously? If you set a camera to record continuously then  it will record continuously. If you set it to motion sensing or pixel change then it will do that if it has that capability.

I believe that there are web services that will allow you to upload to their servers - you should be able to investigate this. Otherwise you will be recording locally with the inherent problems that come with that. If they cut your power, you have no power for the cameras unless you can alternative power. If they cut your phone/cable/internet access then you have no phone/internet access.

Give your tapes to the cops? Fantastic, but don't expect any great response to handing over any kind of video evidence.

Take your $120 and spend it on keeping them out with security lights, signs and locks. Then save up another $120 and spend it on one camera - a single, well-placed, quality video feed is usually better than multiple feeds that are so poor that you cannot see anything.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.