Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB in-wall charger  (Read 2324 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
USB in-wall charger
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

I have a few devices that (can) charge via USB.  One of these in particular comes with a AC/DC cube that creates a lot of noise and damages PLC (iPod touch 120/220 switching charger).  I was thinking about getting a filter for this charger or getting a different charger that isn't so noisy.  Then I saw this:

http://www.smarthome.com/21675WH/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-TR7740-W-USB-Charger-with-Tamper-Resistant-Receptacle-White/p.aspx

Anyone know if these would be clean for use with PLC signals?  I have a couple phones and the iPod in a charging thing on my night stand.  I was thinking I could swap out the outlet for something like this and not even need to worry about chargers (in that location) again.  However, if they would cause the same type of noise...pointless.

cjhallx

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • Over 35 years experience from PCs to mainframes
Re: USB in-wall charger
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »

I have an AIRPAD X which is a re-badge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91 and an AIRPAD XL which is a re-badge of the PLOYER MOMO15

If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: USB in-wall charger
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

That product includes RFI/EMI filtering which could mean a capacitor across the hot-neutral.  If so, then that could be a problem even without the USB adapter.  I had considered a surge protector with USB ports, but even the good quality power strips I have require filtering.  At that point, I'm no better off than just getting a filter and using my current setup.

Thanks for the suggestion!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.