Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1-Stop Blinking 2-Use iPhone Remote  (Read 4075 times)

Jay Czerwinski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
1-Stop Blinking 2-Use iPhone Remote
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer suggestions!   I got my $99 camera a while back and at first planned to use it as a baby camera.  If all goes well with setting this up with one camera and little security concern, I will probably buy more and have a security system for the whole home.

I need help with:
1.   Stopping the blinking light in wireless mode.   My wife thinks that when we have the baby, I am going to give it seizures with that flashing light.  I put tape over it, but even at night she says the housing leakes flashing light and is making an unwanted strobe effect in the room.
2.   I get the camera working wirelessly to my main computer, but not to a mobile device.   Right now I use TeamViewer to look at my computer remotely, where my computer has the Camera software running locally on it.   That kinda works but is a little clunky compared to buying a baby camera system from a baby store.
Again, thank you in advance for any help you can give me!  I am somewhat mechanically skilled and don’t mind suggestions that involve opening up the housing to get the light to stop.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: 1-Stop Blinking 2-Use iPhone Remote
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:59 AM »

Jay,

To stop the blinking light:
While viewing the camera on a computer, select system and then indicator status.

In order to view the camera remotely, you need to set up port forwarding on your camera and router.
This website provide good information regarding what port forwarding is and how to set it up:
http://ipcamnetwork.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/acessing-your-camera-from-the-internet/

Jay Czerwinski

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »

Thanks for the stop blinking portion!!  That was a snap!!!

Now, for the remote access, that was another story -- spent a long time with no results.   I wouldn't even mind paying for a service, but it's gotta be a little plug-and-play.   That DYNDNS just asked for credit card numbers and then left me in the same position.....   maybe it's late and I need to think about trying this on the weekend.

Before I try to go back in to hours of learning how network systems work, I'd happily take suggestions from others.   (Right now the only suggestion I have is from my wife hating that I'm sitting on the computer so long, and she just wants me to go to babies r us and buy a pre-packaged deal....

Thanks again for the info so far, and for anything else anyone can suggest!

Jay

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »

Now, for the remote access, that was another story -- spent a long time with no results.   I wouldn't even mind paying for a service, but it's gotta be a little plug-and-play.   That DYNDNS just asked for credit card numbers and then left me in the same position.....   maybe it's late and I need to think about trying this on the weekend.

Jay

The instructions are not very clear about this and I had the same problem myself. Do not try to setup a 3rd party DDNS. Use the manufacturer's DDNS - you will not have to setup any password, account, or anything else.

You will have to setup a port and static IP address in the camera (this is in the network, then basic network settings - uncheck the DHCP box). You will also have to setup port forwarding on your router.

Here's another thing that is not clear in the manual - you can not test the DDNS address while you are connected to your local network. You must be at a remote location to use the DDNS address.

If you need any further help, just let me know.

mut

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »

Hi, all -

Just want to clarify a couple of things. First, the port forwarding thing basically allows your router to identify the device you're trying to connect to. So, if you have set up your camera with a static IP address of 192.168.0.34 and the port as 8040 (use something exotic here - don't want to conflict with standard ports), when you access the router remotely (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8040) it will connect to the camera. Use multiple ports for multiple cameras.

To test this, use a smartphone. Turn off the wi-fi and you're on an external network. I use the Camviewer for IP Cameras app on an iPhone, and it works great.

Cheers!

Chuck

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.