Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power Supply and Long Distances from an Outlet  (Read 3371 times)

TraderH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Power Supply and Long Distances from an Outlet
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »

How do you resolve the power supply issue with the Airsight cameras when an outlet is not nearby your preferred location?

Has anyone been able to attach a POE adapter kit to the device?  For example the D-Link DWL-P200 POE Adapter Kit or similar?

I am considering purchasing the Airsight PTZ Pro camera but this has been the biggest issue for me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Power Supply and Long Distances from an Outlet
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »

The Airsight PTZ Pro users manual indicates it uses 12 volts at 2 amps.
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/xx40a-om.pdf

You would have to carefully check the ratings for  POE Adapter. The DWL-P200 sales page. Indicates it can do 5 volts at 2.5 amps or 12 volts at 1 amp. Using its supplied 48 volt power supply.

TraderH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

I've noticed that some people have used PASSIVE POEs as a solution for Foscam cameras (equivalent to Airsight) but there appears to be a length limitation of approximately 30 feet using passive POEs.

http://blog.yibi.org/2011/09/01/foscam-fi8904w-with-poor-mans-poe-power-over-ethernet

http://foscam.us/forum/poe-t670.html

Anyone find a compatible ACTIVE POE solution?

Since the camera does 12V/2A and I'm seeing a lot of POE devices that are doing 12V/1A do the Amps have to match or is this good enough?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

If the camera is 12 volts at 2 amps. The POE would have to provide 12 volts at 2 or more amps.
Example if it could do 3 amps at 12 volts and the camera needed 12 volts at 2 amps. The power requirements is less than the maximum it can supply.

One reason you may see short distances with the passive POEs is the small wire in the Network Cable has enough resistance to lower the input voltage at the cameras end.
With the active POE. The input voltage is higher and some loss in the network cable is OK. Then on the camera end there is a power supply that provides the 5 or 12 volts {what it is set to}. Most look like they have a 12 volt 1 amp limit.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.