Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not having any success with new Airsight H.264 camera  (Read 5242 times)

klubtracker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Not having any success with new Airsight H.264 camera
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

I am trying to set up my new Airsight Camera Model xx39A. I have folllowed the manual from front to back with no success. The simpliest set-up, plugging the camera into my PC with an ethernet cable and typing the IP address in my browser (IE, Mozilla or Chrome) results in the same. The connection times out. Using the SearchIP Cam SW, the camera shows up. When I double click the camera its supposed to jump to the camera log in screen. Instead I get a message that the subnets do not match. Haven't a clue how to troubleshoot that on Window 7. I used to do some data acquisiton with Windows XP and could set subnets on that but haven't a clue here.

DoD_engineer

Re: Not having any success with new Airsight H.264 camera
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

i feel your pain man.  i bought an xx39a and discovered MANY problems with it.  me and my friends (network engineers) spent several days running this camera through the ringer, testing as much of as we could. the camera seems like a great camera, but X10s interface is where many of the problem are.  The camera appears to be manufactured in china.  several of these exact models are sold by other companies under different names (see Apxis and Foscam) The user manual is nearly identical to one for Apexis H.264.  problems we had.... internet explorer: FTP did not work; could not choose directory in which to save videos; many inaccuracies in user manual; manual record did not work; pressing the "Clear Alarm" button activated the manual record feature.... it's as if X10 is selling a product that they didnt even test. For a camera thats advertised to allow full control from a web browser, we had to also use the AIRSIGHT IPCameraClient Desktop Software, which is also VERY poorly written.  unfortunately using that s/w is not an option in my intended environment. i'm returning my camera for a full refund, which is also turning into quite a hassle.  (fyi, port forwarding is a MUST with this camera)

larrypowellnj

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »

I had the same problems, no wireless and no remote access, despite hours of assistance from tech support.  I'm returning mine as soon as I get the RMA.  Found a comparable, albeit more $, at Best Buy from a known manufacturer with a great review.

klubtracker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »

Well, I received my second camera from X10 and had the same problem. A call to customer service put me on the right track to finding the subnet settings on my PC. Even though the error message said my subnet was incorrect, I needed to change my IP address to make things work. In the IP settings you have aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd. The 'ccc' value must match and 'ddd' must be unique to your network. Once I figured this out I was able to communicate with the camera. This is actually covered in the long manual, albeit rather poorly. This is the note in section 2.5.2. This certainly needs more clarification. Reading some of the other post here this sounds like it did not solve the problem for everyone so there are still some mysteries that need to be better understood. But there are problems with understanding this too because your PC will have the IP address and gateway IP and .... so this area is not for the timid to delve into.  By the way, you are changing the cameras IP address not your PCs. There is a fairly long lag time for it to down load into the camera (30-45 seconds) before it is ready to use.

mrdana

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »

I'm having same problem; subnet does not match (see post "router smouter")
I thought I would head off any Vista problems so I got a new HP g6 laptop with Windows 7.
So, klubtracker, how did you find the subnet settings on your PC?
From my past experience I've resigned myself to the fact that to get my new camera (XX39A) up and running I will need to spend 20 to 30 hours on this fourm. It's absolutely disgusting but I guess it is what it is.
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping this will be that little foot hold that can open another layer of this can of worms.

Thank you, mrdana

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

To find the network settings on your PC:

1.) Click the start button
2.) Click  "Run"  on the menu
3.) Type CMD and click OK
4.) When the window opens type "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and press the enter key.

This should give you everything you need to know about your network.......

mrdana

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »

Thank you. I'll do that.
 :)
mrdana

mrdana

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »

Here's the only addresses I found;

autoconfiguration  IPv4 address    169.254.233.247

subnet mask 255.255.0.0

IPv4  192.168.43.39

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.43.1

dhcp server        192.168.43.1

DNS servers        192.168.43.1

If I type 192.168.43.1 message comes up "illegal address"
I think I may pack this thing away and wait for x10 to come up with a wizard but that could be years from now.
I happen to have two degrees. One is a BFA (drawing/painting) the other is AAS (electronics technology)
I am an idiot but I'm not stupid. This is really starting to piss me off! Do you have to be some kind of genius or something to use x10 stuff.
I feel like eating a bullet.

p.s. This is to you x10; YOU SUCK! Mabe somepeople can work this stuff but it shouldn't be this hard.

mrdana

klubtracker

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »

mrdana:
I think your problem might be your using the number '1'. Try another number higher like 139 or 142 or something equally obscure. I am no expert on this stuff but it is quite possible something else on your network is using the '1' character. There is a way to find out what numbers are assigned on your network but I don't know how to do it. I had to try a couple of numbers until I came up with '102' (192.168.2.102 - the number '2' is my network identifier. I am not sure if yours is '43' or if you should be matching '169.254.233.xx). Try them both out. As long as you are loading it into the camera and not changing your PC settings it should not hurt anything.

mrdana

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

I've tried many many different numbers in many different catagories.
Changing any number anywhere makes it "illegal"

Please, I don't expect a reply. I'm just sayin.

From what I've read x10 can't even rip off other peoples designs properly.

mrdana

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »

Lord knows I'm not here to defend X10, but I've been a nerd for going on 25+ years.  Networking is *hard*.  You can get professional certifications in this stuff.  You're network addresses and subnets look weird to me for a Class 'C' address. Mine are all 192.168.0.x and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0  (aka /24).

I just decided to rearrange my home run wiring closet and simply upgrade my switch from an 8 port 10/100 to a 16 port gigE switch.  Rearrange - and it still took me hours.  :(

Your woes could be your network configuration.  You can always try another wireless IP cam with a better reputation (like Foscam) and see if it works.  If it does, your right to slam X10.  If it doesn't then you know you need to either redo your network or spend far too many evenings learning about IP networks and subnetting.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.