X10 Zone > Article Discussion

"X10 is going out of business" (source "Make:" magazine Issue 30)

(1/4) > >>

Xytsrm:
To All:

According to the most recent issue of "Make:" magazine, issue 30 (Display Until July 24, 2012), article "Home Automation", by Bob Parks, page 40:

Page 43; "Also note that inventor X10, Inc. is going out of business, resulting in dirt cheap X10 gadgets coming to market as hacker fodder."

As this article is focusing on "Home Automation", perhaps they mean that X10 is going out of the home automation business only.  X10 seems to be refocusing on home security and security cameras.

X. :'(

mcampbell:
I can't imagine it had anything to do with the vomit-inducing web site and advertising policies they've had over the years.    ::)

X10 Repair Depot:
Old news. That is the factory closing, not X10 in the US.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=26297.0

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: mcampbell on May 14, 2012, 09:42:57 AM ---I can't imagine it had anything to do with the vomit-inducing web site........

--- End quote ---

Man, you are out of touch! X10's Web Site hasn't induced vomit for months and months. Actually the "vomit-inducing" format was changed to an "uneasy stomach feeling" format some YEARS ago. Although X10 like many other companys have had their troubles... the X10 Web Site is top notch now-a-days.

Xytsrm:
Two facts support the contention that "X10 is going out of business"; at least in home automation:

1.  They have discontinued the flagship controller, the CM15A, and replaced it with an inferior combination of products, deceptively referred to as the CM15K, that have no memory, no battery backup, requires the PC to be on 24/7, and can not receive powerline signals.

2.  Their automated phone service for technical support no longer mentions "Home Automation" products as an option, the caller must press '4', for "all other questions".

I guess they know when they've been beaten by competing, new technology.

It's a pity, but they've had a good 40 year run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version