Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another TED 5000/X10 conflict dilemma...  (Read 3890 times)

Coyotefred

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Another TED 5000/X10 conflict dilemma...
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »

Hello!

I have some X10/Ted 5000 noise issues, mainly in the form of X10-controlled appliances randomly going on and not being able to turn off certain x10-controlled appliances.  I’ve read the other threads on this issue where some folks have had success isolating the TED system via filters. My problem is that I live in a rural location where my electric service is “spread” over several panels: a main panel for the home and two panels for separate outbuildings.  I have TED 5000 CTs/MTUs in all 3 panels, so I can’t isolate the TED system.

‘Any creative ideas I might try?  Or am I stuck at either finding an alternative for either TED or X10?  I probably have more invested in my X10, but there aren’t many reasonably-priced alternatives to TED (current cost Envi might work, but it updates only every 6 seconds rather than every second...I like the faster-update rate for my wind turbine monitoring).

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Another TED 5000/X10 conflict dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »

The fast update is what kills X10 operation since TED transmits its signal on top of any X10 transmissions.

The only way I know to make the two systems coexist is to isolate the TED communication channel.

Maybe the company has a fix?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Coyotefred

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »

Well I've posted this over at the TED forums too so I'll see if I get any solutions over there :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

I believe I have also seen reports in the Insteon Forums. The TED power line signals can also be a problem with Insteon.

TED uses 132 KHz timed to the 60 cycle Zero Crossing. Insteon is 131.65 KHz starting at 800us before Zero Crossing. My thoughts are Insteon will also be impacted by a TED installation.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:10:42 AM by Brian H »

Coyotefred

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

From TED:

"For the TED signal to be fully isolated, you need to power the MTUs and Gateway all on the same circuit (with an inline filter).

Unfortunately, in this case that may not be possible while still seeing the entire property usage."

So looks like I'll either be replacing the TED or the X10...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »

Thanks for the update. Though it doesn't sound like the best news for your situation.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »

An alternate fix for this occurred to me during a discussion with another fellow.

Here I moved all X10 devices to the same phase so I don't have to worry about signal suckers or noise sources on the other phase.

It may be possible to reorganize your panels such that all X10 devices are on the same phase, and TED is on the other phase.  Then be sure there are no signal couplers to propagate the TED signal across to the X10 phase.  There will still be some leakage, but it should be way down in amplitude.

If that doesn't do the job by itself, you could try a XTB-ANR at each panel on the X10 phase to try to kill off the residual TED signal.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.