Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: multiple cameras into video processor  (Read 24617 times)

kimnach

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
multiple cameras into video processor
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

it's been years since i've frequented these forums; however, after all these years, i finally got around to installing my cameras.

the issue which i am having is that the wired cams (nightwatch2 and anacondas) will not turn ON simultaneously--sort of.  i am running the feeds into a geovision gs-600 8-channel processor and i am controlling the cameras with a mini-desktop controller (61-3000mt from radio shack).  this is for testing only.  i also have a three wireless cams installed for a total of six.

my understanding was that the AHP software, which I am not using during the installation and test process--is what ensured that multiple cameras not be ON since they are fed into a va11a (or 12a).  makes sense.  here, however, it shouldn't matter.

if i have one of the wired cameras ON, send an ON command to another camera--be it wired or wireless--the wired camera currently ON shuts OFF and then the next camera comes ON.  now if I unplug the first camera's psu (xm17a) and plug it back in, then the camera comes ON and I have two ON.  similarly for more cameras.

now, it almost seems--though i'm sure it isn't the case--that the camera power supplies have logic within them that if it is ON and another camera supply is commanded ON (in the same house code), that it shuts OFF first.  (again, i thought that AHP is what took care of the logic.)  now, i found that if i change the house codes on the wired cameras, that i can control them properly.  this isn't an issue other than making the changes in AHP.

has anyone else had such issues with wired cameras feeding a multi-channel video processor?

\thanks,
greg
http://kimnach.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: multiple cameras into video processor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

now, it almost seems--though i'm sure it isn't the case--that the camera power supplies have logic within them that if it is ON and another camera supply is commanded ON (in the same house code), that it shuts OFF first. 
You are correct IN GROUPS OF FOUR. In House code x,  Unit codes 1,2,3,and 4 acts as a group. As does 5, 6, 7, and 8 etc. This should have been explained in your camera instructions. If #3 camera is sent an ON command, then power supplies 1, 2, and 4 turn themselves OFF. AHP is not even in the mix, it's all in the power supplies.

You could address your power supplies as 1, 5, 9, 13. OR use different House Codes (or put a XPPF filter on the power supplies so they can not even see any X10 command, but you could not control them remotely).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »

The "group of four" rule applies to firmware in the cameras themselves.  AHP has nothing to do with it (at least as far as I recall).  In AHP, if all the cameras are in the same room (virtual), AHP will handle the switching on as many cameras you have.

Even if you are not using the software, and say a mini controller, group of four still applies.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:18:24 AM »

The feature is in the addressable camera power supplies.
Any X10 controller sending an On to one of the four in a group. The other three in the group go Off.

Since they default to On at power up. Not sending an On to any of them. They will all stay On.

kimnach

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »

thank you.  (i know, rtfm would help ;))

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »

sometimes the manuals leave a little to be yet desired.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.