Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: POWER OVER ETHERNET FOR AIRSIGHT CAMERAS  (Read 4781 times)

billmakr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
POWER OVER ETHERNET FOR AIRSIGHT CAMERAS
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »

I wanted to be able to provide power to my cameras without the need of an electrical outlet. Did find some injectors on internet that seemed like might work but no guarantee and were expensive. I have 20 years in the networking world and decided to do it myself. While doing research to find the allowable distance I found this how too that I did using the x10 power supply. You do need a few network skills and parts but I have this working on an airsight 110 feet away and wired with a single cat 5 cable ( B:( since unfortunately the firmware still has problems with reliable wireless connectivity) . here is the link to the how to http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Power-Over-Ethernet-POE-Adapter-For-Rou/. It will not work reliably past this point as the voltage drop and resistance increase will drop the amps below operation levels.

Hope this helps. It can be used to provide power to other devices also but bear in mind you must use a 10/100 mps switch for connection as all 8 wires are used in a gigabyte switch.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: POWER OVER ETHERNET FOR AIRSIGHT CAMERAS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

Thanks for the information.

Some of the cameras take up to 2 amps so voltage drops could be a probelm.
Maybe a higher voltage wall wart on the feed end could be calculated for the cameras.

Commercial ones use 48 volts on the supply end and a voltage regulator on the output end.
Problem I have seen is the 12 volt rating for the regulated ones are 1 amp.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.