Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you access your AirSite from the internet- not on your camera's network?  (Read 15264 times)

cismontguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Hello, I am new to the IP camera world. I have the Airsite outdoor working fine with wifi on my workshop network. But how you do access it from say your cell phone or internet when you are away from the location where the camera is located? I see no instructions on how to do this in the booklet that came with the camera? There is a URL written on the underside of the camera..?

Thanks,

Cismontguy

cismontguy

Well, I was able to figure the system out. I would say it took me 4 hours to get everything working. No "15 minutes and you are up and running."  I want to share with others who are going through the same challenges I did.

I got some really good help over the phone and on line from one of the X10 help line people in getting the wifi portion of the camera to work. You cannot get it to set up using the instructions provided with the camera. You have to run the camera set up with the network cable connected, and then log out of all the camera programs , and then, and only then, disconnect the camera from the cat5 cable. Then log into the IP camera software on your computer. Also you have to be patient, and wait for the camera to reboot correctly. It takes longer than 30 seconds.

I had to get my Internet Service Providers (ISP) to tell me how to "Bridge my Modem" so the camera port could be forwarded to the internet correctly. I also had to learn how to configure my Router to work with the camera. Check out  http://portforward.com  . This web site is great! They have really good instructions and helpful web pages.

Finally you are going to need the URL written on your camera label to log in and see your camera from the internet NOT on your camera's computer network! I had to go home and log into the URL and enter the correct log in and pass word for this to work.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:27:11 AM by cismontguy »

chiachio

The URL located on the camera-mount's sticker has NOTHING to do with viewing it from the internet! Be careful in selecting the appropriate source when getting help for this...
You'll need to use port forwarding through your modem in order to see it from online anywhere and at anytime and it will be through your OWN network, not a manufacturer's. It's complicated if you're unfamiliar but not daunting, get help from the modem's technical assistance.
Good luck, you'll love it...

chiachio

ro_owen2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have the New XX40A I need to know what port #s do I use the configure port forwarding? I went to portforward.com they are great but the new XX40A is not on there list yet. Can I use another camera on there program xx34A or the xx36A? Any help on this would be great I have a Netgear wndr3400. I have the camera working when I'm home just not from somewhere else. 

amctroness

I also have the XX40A.  I found some instructions online that indicate that you should use port numbers above 8000 for your camera.  It didn't say why.  I am using port 8080 on mine and it is working inside my home network.   The website then said if you plan to install multiple cameras, you can increment the port number by 1.  Camera number 2 would be on port 8081 etc..

I have not yet successful been able to access my camera from the internet.  When I type in the dns name on the camera I get the following error.  I spent one and a half hours on the phone with x10 support yesterday.  The agent was very helpful and knowledgeable, but he wasn't able to solve my problem.  Does anyone have advice?

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "" 
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time. 

For assistance, contact your network support team. 

umaccrn

I have the same problem.  The level 2 support will not call me.  I have used up Kristina and Jeff at level 1.
Has level 2 looked at your problem?  They have the ability to log on to your PC and see the big picture.

amctroness

Here is my update.  I would love some help from anyone in this forum who has cracked this nut.

I had to return my first XX40A ip camera since it wasn't responding to the dial.  The replacement works very well as long as I'm accessing it from within my home network.   
I can not access it from the internet.

I have contacted level 1 support and received good help, but the tech was not able to solve the problem.  I am now connected with L2 support (Eric), but he will only correspond with me through email.  We are now rehashing the same stuff that L1 helped me with.  Since he will only talk to me via email, progress is slow and I've made no progress.

I have a Linksys E3000 router.  I have opened port 10001 with my static ipaddess 192.168.1.147.  In fact, I used port range forwarding from ports 10000 to 10005 because I want to add more cameras.

Tech support has verified that my router settings are correct.  My camera address is f4651.gipcam.com:10001.  It always times out.

At one time, I was able to get the ipaddress of the camera using the ipcamera tool.  I opened up the tool, clicked on the webcam address 192...147:10001 and then right clicked.  The network section showed the ip address was 68.105.28.12.  I tried to access the webcam using 68.105.28.12:10001.  I still got a timeout error.

Eric at x10 tech support told me to contact my ISP (frontier internet).  I have done that and I have been told it's probably my port forwarding options.  I don't believe that because I've had too many people verify that it's accurate.  Eric also asked me for the ipaddress of my main computer and told me to access the webcam using that ip.  This doesn't make sense to me because it's not the webcam.

Please help me!!!!

geekasaurus

OMG I am so leery about getting an IP camera and the setup procedure. I have the X10 Vanguard which I run full screen on my computer when I am gone. I can access it from work or on my phone using LogMeIn. I would like to get an IP one just so I can set it up wirelessly however.

Tyler E

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

Don't forward a port range; use port range forwarding but make a unique port forwarding rule for each camera. You should forward the cameras to a port higher than 8000 because ports lower than that are generally used for other things. Ports in the 8000 range are rarely used by default.
Having trouble port forwarding your Airsight camera? Check out my guide!

amctroness

I still haven't figured out my problem, but I'm hoping I'm getting closer.  I spent two hours with techs today; one from x10 and one from my ISP (frontier).  The short of it is that they are telling me that because the frontier modem (netgear 7550) and my router (linksys e3000) are on different subnets, that I need to bridge them together.  Alternately, I can bypass my router and use the wireless features of the modem.  I'm researching which is the better option now.  Has anyone got any advice on which is preferable?

amctroness

I have an update and I have made a step forward.  I was able to access Frontier's Netgear 7550 modem through the front end they have on top of this modem.  I created a port forwarding rule using their interface and using the same port I have as a rule on my linksys e3000 router.  Now, I am able to use the dns name (f4651gipcam) to access the camera.  Yeah!!! It has been 3 months since I bought this camera until today, when I have finally made a step forward.

Of course, I am hitting a new roadblock now.  I sign into the camera using the user name and password I've defined in the camera settings.  When I connect, I get an error which says "anonymous: fail to connect to the device: can't connect to the device". 

Anyone have ideas?

Carsonlu

I guess you are metioning remote view via mobile or outside, normal can be set like this:

Note: forwarding port must be set.

1. Airsight camera have URL in the sticker which is under the camera.(also can be found in the camera software: System---Device Info---DDNS status), named: DDNS, firstly,you need to set a port No. under camera software: Network--Basic Network settings---Http Port,(do not use 80 as port No. any other Port No. is ok); Secondly, login your router, send a same port No. in your router forwarding, make the router and camera have same Port No. Finally you can use the DDNS URL like: http://h2064.cipcam.com:229 to view in your mobile or when you are outside.

2. You also could use second method to view: type: www.whatismyip.com under your browser where your camera located, you will find your Real network IP address; And set the port No. both in camera and router. Finally, use the Real IP address+ Port No. to view; Such as: http://220.152.233.202:229;

3. Use the Third part DDNS, this method, you need to find a free DDNS server first, register, then send the port No. as above.

Hope this information can help.^_^ ;)

Carsonlu

Anonymous or Can't not connect to the device, you may try like this:

1. If you are managing multi-device, it may crash or related to Bandwidth.

2.If not multi device, Refresh or Reboot camera or reset the factory settings.

3. Upgrade the lastest airsight firmware and Web UI software to see if solve this issue.

;D

sparkydog9338041@aol.com

Anonymous or Can't not connect to the device, you may try like this:

1. If you are managing multi-device, it may crash or related to Bandwidth.

2.If not multi device, Refresh or Reboot camera or reset the factory settings.

3. Upgrade the lastest airsight firmware and Web UI software to see if solve this issue.

;D
Set the port forward address to your routeres IP, now when you are accessing from outside your network you can turn off your wireless on your phone, this will put it outside of your network,  and just use the 3g or whatever you have to connect outside... Then use your computers exturnal IP followed by the port number you chose.. enter http//yourexturnalip:8015/main.htm  it's not the cameras address but your computers to view your device....

sparkydog9338041@aol.com

I have the New XX40A I need to know what port #s do I use the configure port forwarding? I went to portforward.com they are great but the new XX40A is not on there list yet. Can I use another camera on there program xx34A or the xx36A? Any help on this would be great I have a Netgear wndr3400. I have the camera working when I'm home just not from somewhere else. 

on the CD that came with the camera on the RH side mine shows resource cd xx34a/xx41a I used the xx34 and its working fine
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.