Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Insteon Module Built Into a LED Bulb.  (Read 15029 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Insteon Module Built Into a LED Bulb.
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »

This is one of the strangest Insteon devices I have seen recently.
An Insteon module as part of an LED Light Bulb.
http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx

It is in the FCC Database if any one wants to see the internal and external photos.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
Grantee: SBP
Product Code:26722
Details tab.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:22:47 PM by Brian H »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Insteon Module Built Into a LED Bulb.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

I don't find it bizarre, it just shows that smarthome continues to innovate.  I have actually longed for the day that I can control RGB LED Bulbs from an x10 signal.  I've toyed with the idea of using BVC with a USB-UIRT to control them, but it seems clunky.  In the future, we can have any shade of lighting all at the convenience of our computers.  LED power consumption is a plus.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

Well I think there's a cost saving by integrating the module and the LED bulb.  From the pictures on the FCC site I see three Microchip parts.  One is a microcontroller, and one of the other ones might be the 915MHz radio.  Not sure what the third part is.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »

That's really interesting.
However, it doesn't look like they put int he X10-compatibility mode.
Also, they are showing a limit of 1 per customer right now.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

No X10 mode and not even a normally found Set Button.
It goes into Linking Mode for four second when powered up.
I understand it can be remotely linked with their software and I would say other vendors will be adding support.

I find it interesting the sales page says it emits a low buzz that most will not hear but if more then one are near each other you may hear them.

Since the first production run seems to have sold out in short order and now a one to a customer limit.
There should be lots of feedback shortly on what folks think of them and I can sit this one out.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:55:20 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »

Since an LED bulb has a fairly long life (sometimes) I guess this makes sense. But I will wait for brighter products. I have yet to see a "60 watt equvalent" LED bulb put out anywhere near the lumens of a 60 W incandescent. Maybe the manufacturer cheats and measures UV output along with the flourescent material light output, but IMHO ain't no where near 700 lumens of full spectrum visible light.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

I have yet to see a "60 watt equvalent" LED bulb put out anywhere near the lumens of a 60 W incandescent.
I agree. While my direct experience is limited to just a few LED bulbs and my measurements are eyeball rather than light-meter based, they have all appeared to be much dimmer than an equivalently rated incandescent. My eyeball says they are about 60% of the rated output. That said, they are still better than CFLs in terms of color temperature and expected life and LED prices are falling.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »

I like my Philips EnduraLED bulb.
It is the one with the strange shaped top and Yellow panels on it.
Inside are extremely bright Blue LEDs that cause the Yellow panels to emit a bright white light.
12.5 watts 800 Lumens 2700K color temperature and has passed the Energy Star requirements.

The Insteon ones have no data at all. Someone in the CocoonTech forums called Smarthome and they had no information on color temperature or brand of LED and Driver chips and the beam angle where the light is emitted. I don't need a bulb that would illuminate the ceiling from a table lamp.

They sold the first lot out in less than a day and now are limiting one to a customer when they get the next batch.
With that many sold. I will not have to be a test subject as I am sure early purchasers will give the details.

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »

At $40-$50 price range and a 20-30 year life expectancy for a LED light, I am wondering what will go first the $5.00 add-on or the $40.00 bulb. Either way its like the old "all-in-one" stereo systems, if one component goes the rest is useless. I think I would rather have two units so I only have to replace the one that broke. Just saying.
Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

I think I would rather have two units so I only have to replace the one that broke.
Good point - especially given that the Insteon hardware and protocols have not been paragons of stability.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

Good point - especially given that the Insteon hardware and protocols have not been paragons of stability.
rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

At $40-$50 price range and a 20-30 year life expectancy for a LED light, I am wondering what will go first the $5.00 add-on or the $40.00 bulb. Either way its like the old "all-in-one" stereo systems, if one component goes the rest is useless. I think I would rather have two units so I only have to replace the one that broke. Just saying.

I don't know many homes with hard-wired, always-on light sockets. You would need to replace the existing wall switch with something that could send the signal to turn the lights on and off, and then jumper across it to keep the sockets always powered. If I have 5 bulbs in the fixture, I'd have to get 5 of these, AND a switch. Why not just get a single Insteon switch, and control the entire fixture from it?

I'm sure this is a useful product, I just don't see how I would use it in my home.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.