Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 quality and what it can do?  (Read 2371 times)

Melissa2010B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 quality and what it can do?
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »

I haven't checked into X10 stuff in MANY years. I think I had some Heathkit X10 modules back around 1980, that's how far back I go.  :D

In recent years, I used to hear it was cheap and unreliable, something like "Made in China".

Is that true, or has it improved, or been good all along? I'm trying to have an open mind here.

One reason I'm interested now, is because I'd like to set up an appliance controller in our bird room, to control their lights. Instead of the usual clock timer, then I could turn them off a little early at night if we wanted to.
I'd like wireless control of this, from my PC. I have a wireless USB module in the PC now. Can X10 do that now?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 quality and what it can do?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

X10 Appliance and Lamp Modules have always had good reliabilty. Reliability problems for them usually stems from noise and phase coupling problems which are problems in your home that are easy to solve once identified(plenty of info on this forum about them). As far as comuter control search AHP on the forum or the X10 web site.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Melissa2010B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »

Oh, they go through the power line, I forgot. They don't have wireless ones now, that can go from the PC to the controller?

We have a problem in this house. It's a modular house and came in two halves. I suspect the moron builder didn't connect the front half and back half as common power, together, so we haven't been able to use wireless intercoms, for example, between one half and the other.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »

More like you need a phase coupler between the two incoming phases of the homes wiring.
Also you would have to maybe find power line noise makers and signal absorbers.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.