Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bought a modified RR501  (Read 4420 times)

smokey847

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bought a modified RR501
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »

I purchased a pre-owned RR501 on eBay, thinking it was in original condition.  I received it to discover that it works as it should, but the on/off button is gone and there is a wire hanging out about 10" long.  It also appears that there may have been a hole drilled in the top center of the plastic housing.  What gives?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Bought a modified RR501
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »

DO NOT PLUG IT IN! IT COULD BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

The RR501 (& TM751) electronics are not isolated from the mains voltage and the protruding wire very likely will have 120V relative to earth ground. Any hole in the case might invite exploration by toddlers and might also allow them contact with 120VAC.

You should demand your money back. File a claim with eBay. If you paid via PayPal, file a claim. Threaten a lawsuit and follow through if needed. I would threaten to contact the attorney general in the seller's state to file criminal charges. This is extremely serious - do not take it lightly.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Bought a modified RR501
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:01:36 AM »

To add to what Dave pointed out.
The changes on it where from a third party. So we really can't say what was done to it. It doesn't sound like any modifications I have ever seen.
I will second Dave's don't plug it in statement.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:38:07 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.